Intra-National Regional Heterogeneity in International Trade: Foreign Growth on Exports and Production of Domestic Regions
International trade can induce changes in production structure across domestic regions as well as across industries. While the literature is well established on the latter issue, the former issue has been examined less. We present a two-country model with explicit incorporation of two regions in a home country and one region in a foreign country. Skilled workers, freely mobile across domestic regions, are required to set up a firm, and one region is located closer to a foreign country. Our theoretical model suggests that effects of foreign growth on production are asymmetric among regions while causing positive effects on the exports of all regions. We empirically test our theoretical hypothesis with production and export datasets of Japanese regions. Our empirical results provide strong evidence in support of a positive growth effect of a foreign market on regional exports and capture asymmetric effects of foreign growth on the production of domestic regions.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ip.kyusan-u.ac.jp/keizai/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takahashi, Takaaki, 2003. "International trade and inefficiency in the location of production," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 134-152, June.
- University of Iowa & Michael E. Waugh, 2007.
"International Trade and Income Differences,"
2007 Meeting Papers
492, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2005. "A Spatial Theory of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1464-1491, December.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1997.
"Economic Geography and Regional Production Structure: An Empirical Investigation,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1802, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Davis, Donald R. & Weinstein, David E., 1999. "Economic geography and regional production structure: An empirical investigation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 379-407, February.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1997. "Economic Geography and Reginal Production Structure: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 6093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1998. "Economic geography and regional production structure: an empirical investigation," Staff Reports 40, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Kristian Behrens & Andrea R. Lamorgese & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Takatoshi Tabuchi, 2009.
"Beyond the Home Market Effect: Market Size and Specialization in a Multi-Country World,"
KITeS Working Papers
023, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2009.
- Behrens, Kristian & Lamorgese, Andrea R. & Ottaviano, Gianmarco I.P. & Tabuchi, Takatoshi, 2009. "Beyond the home market effect: Market size and specialization in a multi-country world," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 259-265, November.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Kristian Behrens & Andrea R. Lamorgese & Takatoshi Tabuchi, 2009. "Beyond the Home Market Effect: Market Size and Specialization in a Multi-Country World," Working Papers 2009.119, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Szanyi, Mikl & Iwasaki, Ichiro & Csizmadia, P騁er & Ill駸sy, Mikl, 2010. "Emergence and Development of Industry Clusters in Hungary : Searching for a 'Critical Mass' of Business via Cluster Mapping," Discussion Paper Series a539, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Cheng, Leonard K. & Kwan, Yum K., 2000. "What are the determinants of the location of foreign direct investment? The Chinese experience," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 379-400, August.
- Behrens, Kristian & Gaigne, Carl & Ottaviano, Gianmarco I.P. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 2007. "Countries, regions and trade: On the welfare impacts of economic integration," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 1277-1301, July.
- Krugman, Paul & Elizondo, Raul Livas, 1996.
"Trade policy and the Third World metropolis,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 137-150, April.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004.
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
593, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hakan Yilmazkuday, 2011.
"Understanding Interstate Trade Patterns,"
1104, Florida International University, Department of Economics.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Wesley W. Wilson, 2008. "Port Efficiency and Trade Flows," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 21-36, 02.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- Sugata Marjit & Hamid Beladi, 2009. "International And Intra-National Trade: A Continuum Approach," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 320-332.
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-23, June.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1994.
"Regional Adjustment to Trade Liberalization,"
NBER Working Papers
4713, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristian Behrens & Carl Gaigné & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Jacques-François Thisse, 2006. "Is remoteness a locational disadvantage?," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(3), pages 347-368, June.
- Jordaan, Jacob A., 2008. "Intra- and Inter-industry Externalities from Foreign Direct Investment in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector: New Evidence from Mexican Regions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 2838-2854, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kyu:dpaper:54. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yoshitsugu Kitazawa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.