Estimating Noncooperative and Cooperative Models of Bargaining: An Empirical Comparison
This paper examines the issue of model selection in studies of strategic situations. In particular, we compare estimation results from Adachi and Watanabe's (2008) noncooperative formulation of government formulation with those from two alternative cooperative formulations. Although the estimates of the ministerial ranking are similar, statistical testing suggests that Adachi and Watanabe's(2008) noncooperative formulation is best fitted to the observed data among the alternative models. This result implies that modeling the time structure in bargaining situations is crucially important at the risk of possibly misspecifying the details of the game.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501|
Web page: http://www.kier.kyoto-u.ac.jp/eng/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Britz, Volker & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Predtetchinski, Arkadi, 2010.
"Non-cooperative support for the asymmetric Nash bargaining solution,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 145(5), pages 1951-1967, September.
- Britz Volker & Herings P. Jean-Jacques & Predtetchinski Arkadi, 2008. "Non-cooperative Support for the Asymmetric Nash Bargaining solution," Research Memorandum 018, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Yasutora Watanabe & Takanori Adachi, 2004.
"Ministerial Weights and Government Formation: Estimation Using a Bargaining Model,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
742, Econometric Society.
- Yasutora Watanabe, 2008. "Ministerial Weights and Government Formation: Estimation Using a Bargaining Model," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(1), pages 95-119, May.
- Martin J. Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 1994.
"A Course in Game Theory,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262650401, March.
- Laruelle, Annick & Valenciano, Federico, 2008. "Noncooperative foundations of bargaining power in committees and the Shapley-Shubik index," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 341-353, May.
- Hart, Sergiu & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1996.
"Bargaining and Value,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 357-80, March.
- Ray, Debraj, 2007. "A Game-Theoretic Perspective on Coalition Formation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199207954, May.
- McDonald, James B, 1984. "Some Generalized Functions for the Size Distribution of Income," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 647-63, May.
- Xingwei Hu, 2006. "An Asymmetric Shapley–Shubik Power Index," International Journal of Game Theory, Game Theory Society, vol. 34(2), pages 229-240, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kyo:wpaper:799. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ryo Okui)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.