Competitive Auctions: Theory and Application
The theory of competitive auctions offers a coherent framework for modelling coordination frictions as a non-cooperative game. The theory represents an advancement over cooperative approaches that make exogenous assumptions about how output is divided between buyers and sellers and about the forces that bring buyers and sellers into local markets. Moreover, unlike price posting models, which fix the terms of trade prior to matching, competitive auction models have a bidding process that allocates the good (or service) to the highest valuation bidder at a price equal to the second highest valuation. Therefore, the competitive auction model is more robust to problems in which there are heterogenous valuations. This paper develops the theory of competitive auctions and applies it to a number of practical problems in microeconomics, labor economics, industrial organization, investment theory and monetary economics.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julien, B. & Kennes, J. & King, I., 1998.
"Bidding for Labour,"
dp98-03, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Kenneth Burdett & Shouyong Shi & Randall Wright, 2001. "Pricing and Matching with Frictions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(5), pages 1060-1085, October.
- Moen, E.R., 1995.
"Competitive Search Equilibrium,"
37/1995, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Shouyong Shi, 2002.
"A Directed Search Model of Inequality with Heterogeneous Skills and Skill-Biased Technology,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 69(2), pages 467-491.
- Shi, Shouyong, 2002. "A Directed Search Model of Inequality with Heterogeneous Skills and Skill-Based Technology," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(2), pages 467-91, April.
- James Albrecht & Pieter A. Gautier & Susan Vroman, 2006.
"Equilibrium Directed Search with Multiple Applications,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 73(4), pages 869-891.
- Albrecht, James & Gautier, Pieter A. & Vroman, Susan, 2003. "Equilibrium Directed Search with Multiple Applications," IZA Discussion Papers 719, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- James Albrecht & Pieter Gautier, 2004. "Equilibrium Directed Search with Multiple Applications," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 330, Econometric Society.
- James Albrecht, Pieter Gautier, & Susan Vroman, 2003. "Equilibrium Directed Search with Multiple Application," Working Papers gueconwpa~03-03-02, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Shouyong Shi, 2002.
"Product Market and the Size-Wage Differential,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(1), pages 21-54, February.
- Pieter A. Gautier & José Luis Moraga-González, 2004.
"Strategic Wage Setting and Coordination Frictions with Multiple Applications,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1304, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gautier, Pieter A. & Moraga-González, José L., 2004. "Strategic Wage Setting and Coordination Frictions with Multiple Applications," IZA Discussion Papers 1260, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kultti, K.K., 1997.
"Equivalence of Auctions and Posted Prices,"
1997-57, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Coles, Melvyn G. & Eeckhout, Jan, 2003. "Indeterminacy and directed search," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 265-276, August.
- Benoît Julien & John Kennes & Ian King, 2005. "Ex post bidding and efficient coordination unemployment," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(1), pages 174-193, February.
- Julien, Benoit & Kennes, John & King, Ian, 2006.
"The Mortensen rule and efficient coordination unemployment,"
Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 149-155, February.
- John Kennes & Benoit Julien & Ian King, 2002. "The Mortensen Rule and Efficient Coordination Unemployment," Macroeconomics 0206001, EconWPA.
- Steven J. Davis, 2001. "The Quality Distribution of Jobs and the Structure of Wages in Search Equilibrium," NBER Working Papers 8434, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shouyong Shi, 1998.
988, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Shi, Shouyong, 2006.
"Wage differentials, discrimination and efficiency,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 849-875, May.
- Alain Delacroix & Shouyong Shi, 2003.
"Directed Search On the Job and the Wage Ladder,"
shouyong-03-04, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Julien Benoit & Kennes John & King Ian Paul, 2001. "Auctions and Posted Prices in Directed Search Equilibrium," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-16, July.
- Klaus Kultti & Antti Miettunen & Juha Virrankoski, 2006. "Physical Search," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 89(3), pages 223-244, December.
- Jansen, Marcel, 2010. "Job auctions and hold-ups," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 608-619, June.
- Gouge, Randall & King, Ian, 1997. "A Competitive Theory of Employment Dynamics," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(1), pages 1-22, January.
- John Kennes & Aaron Schiff, 2003. "The Value of a Reputation System," Industrial Organization 0301011, EconWPA.
- Benoît Julien & John Kennes & Ian King, 2002. "Auctions Beat Posted Prices in a Small Market," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 158(4), pages 548-, December.
- Melanie Cao & Shouyong Shi, 2000. "Coordination, matching, and wages," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1009-1033, November.
- John Kennes & Ian Paul King & Benoit Julien, 2002. "'Residual' Wage Disparity in Directed Search Equilibrium," Macroeconomics 0205003, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kud:kuiedp:0416. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.