The Equity Risk Premium and the Required Share Returns in a Tobin’s q Model
Based on the Tobin’s q principle this paper shows that earnings per unit of capital and the output capital ratio are excellent measures of the required share returns because they are only temporarily affected by earnings shocks but are driven permanently by changes in required share returns. Evidence for the US over the period from 1889 to 2002 suggests that real required share returns and the equity risk premium climbed to extraordinarily high levels from the late 1930, to the end of the 1940s, and have since declined. The risk premium is currently somewhere between 4 and 6%.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark|
Phone: (+45) 3532 4411
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk/epru/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert B. Barsky & J. Bradford De Long, "undated".
"Forecasting Pre-World War I Inflation: The Fisher Effect and the Gold Standard,"
J. Bradford De Long's Working Papers
_121, University of California at Berkeley, Economics Department.
- Robert B. Barsky & J. Bradford De Long, 1991. "Forecasting Pre-World War I Inflation: The Fisher Effect and the Gold Standard," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(3), pages 815-836.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Ellen R. McGrattan & Anna Scherbina, 2001.
"The Declining U.S. Equity Premium,"
NBER Working Papers
8172, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2003.
"Average Debt and Equity Returns: Puzzling?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 392-397, May.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2003. "Average debt and equity returns: puzzling?," Staff Report 313, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2003. "Average Debt and Equity Returns: Puzzling?," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000367, David K. Levine.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kud:epruwp:03-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.