A meta-analysis of the equity premium
The equity premium is a key parameter in asset allocation policies. There is a vigorous debate in the literature regarding the actual measurement of the equity premium, its size and the determinants of its variation. This study aims to take stock of this literature by means of a meta-analysis. We identify how the size of the equity premium depends on the way it is measured, along with its evolution over time and its variation across regions in the world. We find that the equity premium is significantly lower if measured by ex ante methods rather than ex post, in more recent periods, and for more developed countries. In addition, looking at the underlying fundamentals, we find that larger volatility in GDP growth tends to raise the equity premium while a higher nominal interest rate has a negative impact on the equity premium.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Stephen J & Goetzmann, William N & Ross, Stephen A, 1995. " Survival," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(3), pages 853-73, July.
- Fabio Canova & Gianni De Nicoló, 2003. "The Properties of the Equity Premium and the Risk-Free Rate: An Investigation Across Time and Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 50(2), pages 4.
- N/A, 2007. "The World Economy," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 200(1), pages 7-30, April.
- Ville, Simon, 2006. "The Equity Premium Puzzle: Australia and the United States in Comparative Perspective," Economics Working Papers wp06-25, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Abbas Mirakhor & S. Nuri Erbas, 2007. "The Equity Premium Puzzle, Ambiguity Aversion, and Institutional Quality," IMF Working Papers 07/230, International Monetary Fund.
- Philippe Weil, 1989.
"The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Riskfree Rate Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
2829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Weil, Philippe, 1989. "The equity premium puzzle and the risk-free rate puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 401-421, November.
- Phillippe Weil, 1997. "The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Risk-Free Rate Puzzle," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1833, David K. Levine.
- Martin Lettau & Sydney C. Ludvigson, 2004.
"The Declining Equity Premium: What Role Does Macroeconomic Risk Play?,"
2004 Meeting Papers
644, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Martin Lettau & Sydney Ludvigson & Jessica A. Wachter, 2005. "The declining equity premium: what role does macroeconomic risk play?," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Martin Lettau & Sydney C. Ludvigson & Jessica A. Wachter, 2008. "The Declining Equity Premium: What Role Does Macroeconomic Risk Play?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(4), pages 1653-1687, July.
- Martin Lettau & Sydney C. Ludvigson & Jessica A. Wachter, 2004. "The Declining Equity Premium: What Role Does Macroeconomic Risk Play?," NBER Working Papers 10270, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lettau, Martin & Ludvigson, Sydney & Wachter, Jessica, 2006. "The Declining Equity Premium: What Role Does Macroeconomic Risk Play?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5519, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fernandez, Pablo, 2009.
"The equity premium in 150 textbooks,"
Journal of Financial Transformation,
Capco Institute, vol. 27, pages 14-18.
- Robert J. Barro, 2005. "Rare Events and the Equity Premium," NBER Working Papers 11310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kocherlakota, N., 1995.
"The Equity Premium: It's Still a Puzzle,"
95-05, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Narayana R. Kocherlakota, 1995. "The equity premium: it's still a puzzle," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 102, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Shackman, Joshua D., 2006. "The equity premium and market integration: Evidence from international data," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 155-179, April.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Ellen R. McGrattan & Anna Scherbina, 2000.
"The declining U.S. equity premium,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 3-19.
- Philippe Jorion & William N. Goetzmann, 1999. "Global Stock Markets in the Twentieth Century," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 953-980, 06.
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 1995.
"By Force of Habit: A Consumption-Based Explanation of Aggregate Stock Market Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
4995, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 1994. "By Force of Habit: A Consumption-Based Explanation of Aggregate Stock Market Behavior," CRSP working papers 412, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Cochrane, John H. & Campbell, John, 1999. "By Force of Habit: A Consumption-Based Explanation of Aggregate Stock Market Behavior," Scholarly Articles 3119444, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 1994. "By force of habit: a consumption-based explanation of aggregate stock market behavior," Working Papers 94-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Ivo Welch, 2000.
"Views of Financial Economists on the Equity Premium and on Professional Controversies,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm122, Yale School of Management.
- Welch, Ivo, 2000. "Views of Financial Economists on the Equity Premium and on Professional Controversies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(4), pages 501-37, October.
- James Claus, 2001. "Equity Premia as Low as Three Percent? Evidence from Analysts' Earnings Forecasts for Domestic and International Stock Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(5), pages 1629-1666, October.
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1985.
"The equity premium: A puzzle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-161, March.
- John Y. Campbell, 2008. "Viewpoint: Estimating the equity premium," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Rajnish Mehra, 2003. "The Equity Premium: Why is it a Puzzle?," NBER Working Papers 9512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Santis Massimiliano, 2007. "Movements in the Equity Premium: Evidence from a Time-Varying VAR," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 11(4), pages 1-41, December.
- Eugene Fama & F. & Kenneth R. French, .
"The Equity Premium.","
CRSP working papers
522, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Siegel, Jeremy J., 1992. "The real rate of interest from 1800-1990 : A study of the U.S. and the U.K," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 227-252, April.
- Jakob B. Madsen, 2004.
"The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Ex Post Bias,"
FRU Working Papers
2004/01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Finance Research Unit.
- World Bank, 2006. "World Development Indicators 2006," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 8151.
- Lemke, Wolfgang & Werner, Thomas, 2009. "The term structure of equity premia in an affine arbitrage-free model of bond and stock market dynamics," Working Paper Series 1045, European Central Bank.
- Kyriacos Kyriacou & Jakob B. Madsen & Bryan Mase, 2006. "Does inflation exaggerate the equity premium?," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(5), pages 344-356, November.
- Andrew Vivian, 2007. "The UK Equity Premium: 1901-2004," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(9-10), pages 1496-1527.
- Fernandez, Pablo, 2009. "Market risk premium used in 2008 by Professors: A survey with 1,400 answers," IESE Research Papers D/796, IESE Business School.
- Roger G. Ibbotson & Peng Chen, 2003. "Long-Run Stock Returns: Participating in the Real Economy," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm354, Yale School of Management.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1993. "Movements in the Equity Premium," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(2), pages 75-138.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:empfin:v:19:y:2012:i:5:p:819-830. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.