Technological Diversification and Innovation Performance
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Rebecca Henderson & Iain Cockburn, 1996.
"Scale, Scope, and Spillovers: The Determinants of Research Productivity in Drug Discovery,"
RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(1), pages 32-59, Spring.
- Rebecca Henderson & Iain Cockburn, "undated". "Scale, Scope and Spillovers: The Determinants of Research Productivity in Drug Discovery," Working Papers ec25/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Gambardella, Alfonso & Torrisi, Salvatore, 1998. "Does technological convergence imply convergence in markets? Evidence from the electronics industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 445-463, September.
- Jeff S. Armstrong & Michael R. Darby & Lynne G. Zucker, 2003.
"Commercializing knowledge: university science, knowledge capture and firm performance in biotechnology,"
Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Sep, pages 149-170.
- Lynne G. Zucker & Michael R. Darby & Jeff S. Armstrong, 2002. "Commercializing Knowledge: University Science, Knowledge Capture, and Firm Performance in Biotechnology," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(1), pages 138-153, January.
- Lynne G. Zucker & Michael R. Darby & Jeff S. Armstrong, 2001. "Commercializing Knowledge: University Science, Knowledge Capture, and Firm Performance in Biotechnology," NBER Working Papers 8499, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Danzon, Patricia M. & Nicholson, Sean & Pereira, Nuno Sousa, 2005.
"Productivity in pharmaceutical-biotechnology R&D: the role of experience and alliances,"
Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 317-339, March.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Sean Nicholson & Nuno Sousa Pereira, 2003. "Productivity in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology R&D: The Role of Experience and Alliances," NBER Working Papers 9615, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peneder, Michael, 2010.
"Technological regimes and the variety of innovation behaviour: Creating integrated taxonomies of firms and sectors,"
Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 323-334, April.
- Michael Peneder, 2010. "Technological Regimes and the Variety of Innovation Behaviour. Creating Integrated Taxonomies of Firms and Sectors," WIFO Working Papers 362, WIFO.
- Garcia-Vega, Maria, 2006. "Does technological diversification promote innovation?: An empirical analysis for European firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 230-246, March.
- Martin Woerter, 2009. "Technology diversification, product innovations, and technology transfer," KOF Working papers 09-221, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Kwaku Atuahene-Gima & Felicitas Evangelista, 2000. "Cross-Functional Influence in New Product Development: An Exploratory Study of Marketing and R...D Perspectives," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(10), pages 1269-1284, October.
- Todd R. Zenger, 1994. "Explaining Organizational Diseconomies of Scale in R&D: Agency Problems and the Allocation of Engineering Talent, Ideas, and Effort by Firm Size," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(6), pages 708-729, June.
- Ashish Arora & Alfonso Gambardella & Laura Magazzini & Fabio Pammolli, 2009.
"A Breath of Fresh Air? Firm Type, Scale, Scope, and Selection Effects in Drug Development,"
Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(10), pages 1638-1653, October.
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso & Magazzini, Laura & Pammolli, Fabio, 2007. "A Breath of Fresh Air? Firm types, scale, scope and selection effects in drug development," MPRA Paper 16042, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ashish Arora & Alfonso Gambardella & Laura Magazzini & Fabio Pammolli, 2009. "A Breath of Fresh Air? Firm Type, Scale, Scope and Selection Effects in Drug Development," KITeS Working Papers 003, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Mar 2009.
- Cameron, A Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1986.
"Econometric Models Based on Count Data: Comparisons and Applications of Some Estimators and Tests,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 29-53, January.
- A. Colin Cameron & Pravin K. Trivedi, 1986. "Econometric models based on count data. Comparisons and applications of some estimators and tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 29-53, January.
- Yiannaka, Amalia & Fulton, Murray, 2006. "Strategic patent breadth and entry deterrence with drastic product innovations," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 177-202, January.
- Tatiana Plotnikova, 2010. "Success in Pharmaceutical Research: The Changing Role of Scale and Scope Economies, Spillovers and Competition," Jena Economic Research Papers 2010-045, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Nora Sydow & Martin Woerter, 2008. "Is there any Impact of University–Industry Knowledge Transfer on Innovation and Productivity? An Empirical Analysis Based on Swiss Firm Data," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 32(2), pages 77-94, March.
- Miotti, Luis & Sachwald, Frederique, 2003. "Co-operative R&D: why and with whom?: An integrated framework of analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1481-1499, September.
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco & Malerba, Franco, 2003. "Knowledge-relatedness in firm technological diversification," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 69-87, January.
- Richard R. Nelson, 1995. "Recent Evolutionary Theorizing about Economic Change," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 48-90, March.
- Uwe Cantner & Tatiana Plotnikova, 2009. "Technological Diversity and Future Product Diversity in the Drug Industry," Jena Economic Research Papers 2009-031, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Lionel Nesta & Pier Paolo Saviotti, 2005.
"Coherence Of The Knowledge Base And The Firm'S Innovative Performance: Evidence From The U.S. Pharmaceutical Industry,"
Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 123-142, March.
- Lionel Nesta & Pier-Paolo Saviotti, 2014. "Coherence of the knowledge base and the firm’s innovative performance: evidence from the U.S. pharmaceutical industry," Post-Print hal-01845543, HAL.
- Hyukjoon Kim & Hyojeong Lim & Yongtae Park, 2009. "How should firms carry out technological diversification to improve their performance? An analysis of patenting of Korean firms," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(8), pages 757-770.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Burak Dindaroğlu, 2018. "Determinants of patent quality in U.S. manufacturing: technological diversity, appropriability, and firm size," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 43(4), pages 1083-1106, August.
- Dibiaggio, Ludovic & Nasiriyar, Maryam & Nesta, Lionel, 2014.
"Substitutability and complementarity of technological knowledge and the inventive performance of semiconductor companies,"
Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(9), pages 1582-1593.
- Ludovic Dibiaggio & Maryam Nasyar & Lionel Nesta, 2014. "Substitutability and complementarity of technological knowledge and the inventive performance of semiconductor companies," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/43aq8ffdqb8, Sciences Po.
- Ludovic Dibiaggio & Maryam Nasiriyar & Lionel Nesta, 2014. "Substitutability and complementarity of technological knowledge and the inventive performance of semiconductor companies," Post-Print halshs-01948186, HAL.
- Leten, Bart & Kelchtermans, Stijn & Belderbos, Ren, 2010. "Internal Basic Research, External Basic Research and the Technological Performance of Pharmaceutical Firms," Working Papers 2010/12, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Kim, Jungho & Lee, Chang-Yang & Cho, Yunok, 2016. "Technological diversification, core-technology competence, and firm growth," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 113-124.
- Krammer, Sorin M.S., 2016.
"The role of diversification profiles and dyadic characteristics in the formation of technological alliances: Differences between exploitation and exploration in a low-tech industry,"
Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 517-532.
- Krammer, Sorin M.S., 2015. "The role of diversification profiles and dyadic characteristics in the formation of technological alliances: Differences between exploitation and exploration in a low-tech industry," MPRA Paper 64843, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Quintana-Garcia, Cristina & Benavides-Velasco, Carlos A., 2008. "Innovative competence, exploration and exploitation: The influence of technological diversification," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 492-507, April.
- Sang Ho Kook & Ki Hong Kim & Chulung Lee, 2017. "Dynamic Technological Diversification and Its Impact on Firms’ Performance: An Empirical Analysis of Korean IT Firms," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 9(7), pages 1-16, July.
- Maria Chiara Di Guardo & Kathryn Rudie Harrigan & Elona Marku, 2019. "M&A and diversification strategies: what effect on quality of inventive activity?," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 23(3), pages 669-692, September.
- Lutao Ning & Martha Prevezer & Yuandi Wang, 2014. "Technological diversification in China: Based on Chinese patent analysis during 1986-2011," Working Papers 55, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Business and Management, Centre for Globalisation Research.
- Lorenz, Steffi, 2015. "Diversität und Verbundenheit der unternehmerischen Wissensbasis: Ein neuartiger Messansatz mit Indikatoren aus Innovationsprojekten," Discussion Papers on Strategy and Innovation 15-01, Philipps-University Marburg, Department of Technology and Innovation Management (TIM).
- Antonelli, Cristiano & Krafft, Jackie & Quatraro, Francesco, 2010.
"Recombinant knowledge and growth: The case of ICTs,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 50-69, March.
- Cristiano Antonelli & Jackie Krafft & Francesco Quatraro, 2010. "Recombinant knowledge and growth: The case of ICT," Post-Print halshs-00727614, HAL.
- Cristiano Antonelli & Jackie Krafft & Francesco Quatraro, 2010. "Recombinant Knowledge and Growth: The Case of ICTs," Post-Print hal-00448649, HAL.
- Andersen Birgitte & Rossi Federica, 2010. "Recombinant Knowledge and Growth: The Case Of Icts," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 201001, University of Turin.
- Nesta, Lionel, 2008.
"Knowledge and productivity in the world's largest manufacturing corporations,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(3-4), pages 886-902, September.
- Lionel Nesta, 2004. "Knowledge and Productivity in the World's Largest Manufacturing Corporations," SPRU Working Paper Series 119, SPRU - Science Policy Research Unit, University of Sussex Business School.
- Lionel Nesta, 2005. "Knowledge and Productivity in the World's Largest Manufacturing Corporations," Sciences Po publications 2005-17, Sciences Po.
- Lionel Nesta, 2005. "Knowledge and Productivity in the World's Largest Manufacturing Corporations," Working Papers hal-00973058, HAL.
- Feng Zhang & Guohua Jiang, 2019. "Combination of Complementary Technological Knowledge to Generate “Hard to Imitate” Technologies," Journal of Information & Knowledge Management (JIKM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 18(02), pages 1-24, June.
- Martin Kalthaus, 2020.
"Knowledge recombination along the technology life cycle,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 643-704, July.
- Martin Kalthaus, 2016. "Knowledge recombination along the technology life cycle," Jena Economic Research Papers 2016-012, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Lichtenthaler, Ulrich, 2010.
"Determinants of proactive and reactive technology licensing: A contingency perspective,"
Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 55-66, February.
- Lichtenthaler, Ulrich, 2009. "The role of corporate technology strategy and patent portfolios in low-, medium- and high-technology firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 559-569, April.
- Bruce Rasmussen, 2010. "Innovation and Commercialisation in the Biopharmaceutical Industry," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 13680.
- Jason Li-Ying & Yuandi Wang & Lutao Ning, 2016. "How do dynamic capabilities transform external technologies into firms’ renewed technological resources? – A mediation model," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 1009-1036, December.
- Martin Backfisch, 2018. "The Development of Firm Size and Innovativeness in the Pharmaceutical industry between 1989 and 2010," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201813, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Lin, Chinho & Chang, Chia-Chi, 2015. "The effect of technological diversification on organizational performance: An empirical study of S&P 500 manufacturing firms," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 90(PB), pages 575-586.
- Carlo Corradini & Pelin Demirel & Giuliana Battisti, 2016. "Technological diversification within UK’s small serial innovators," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 163-177, June.
More about this item
KeywordsPatent applications; Innovative sales share; New products; Improved products; Technological diversity;
All these keywords.
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-COM-2013-06-09 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-EFF-2013-06-09 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-EUR-2013-06-09 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INO-2013-06-09 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2013-06-09 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-KNM-2013-06-09 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2013-06-09 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-TID-2013-06-09 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kof:wpskof:13-336. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/koethch.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.