Technological Diversification and Innovation Performance
This paper analyzes the impact of technological diversity on innovation inputs and success using Swiss firm-level panel data. While we do not find any impact of diversity on R&D intensity, we confirm a positive impact of diversity on patent applications as suggested by the literature. However, since patent applications reflect an intermediate innovation input rather than output, we extend the analysis to the share of sales generated by new products. We find a significant negative effect of diversity on the sales share of new products. Hence, technologically more specialized firms have a lower propensity to patent and greater shares of new products. We find neither a direct nor indirect effect of diversity on the sales share generated by improved products. These results suggest that specialization pays-off through more drastic innovations that yield greater market success through a passing monopoly status.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 44 632 42 39
Fax: +41 44 632 12 18
Web page: http://www.kof.ethz.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miotti, Luis & Sachwald, Frederique, 2003. "Co-operative R&D: why and with whom?: An integrated framework of analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1481-1499, September.
- Rebecca Henderson & Iain Cockburn, 1996.
"Scale, Scope, and Spillovers: The Determinants of Research Productivity in Drug Discovery,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(1), pages 32-59, Spring.
- Rebecca Henderson & Iain Cockburn, . "Scale, Scope and Spillovers: The Determinants of Research Productivity in Drug Discovery," Working Papers ec25/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco & Malerba, Franco, 2003. "Knowledge-relatedness in firm technological diversification," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 69-87, January.
- Peneder, Michael, 2010.
"Technological regimes and the variety of innovation behaviour: Creating integrated taxonomies of firms and sectors,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 323-334, April.
- Michael Peneder, 2010. "Technological Regimes and the Variety of Innovation Behaviour. Creating Integrated Taxonomies of Firms and Sectors," WIFO Working Papers 362, WIFO.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Sean Nicholson & Nuno Sousa Pereira, 2003.
"Productivity in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology R&D: The Role of Experience and Alliances,"
NBER Working Papers
9615, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Danzon, Patricia M. & Nicholson, Sean & Pereira, Nuno Sousa, 2005. "Productivity in pharmaceutical-biotechnology R&D: the role of experience and alliances," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 317-339, March.
- Tatiana Plotnikova, 2010. "Success in Pharmaceutical Research: The Changing Role of Scale and Scope Economies, Spillovers and Competition," Jena Economic Research Papers 2010-045, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso & Magazzini, Laura & Pammolli, Fabio, 2007.
"A Breath of Fresh Air? Firm types, scale, scope and selection effects in drug development,"
16042, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ashish Arora & Alfonso Gambardella & Laura Magazzini & Fabio Pammolli, 2009. "A Breath of Fresh Air? Firm Type, Scale, Scope, and Selection Effects in Drug Development," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(10), pages 1638-1653, October.
- Ashish Arora & Alfonso Gambardella & Laura Magazzini & Fabio Pammolli, 2009. "A Breath of Fresh Air? Firm Type, Scale, Scope and Selection Effects in Drug Development," KITeS Working Papers 003, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Mar 2009.
- Kwaku Atuahene-Gima & Felicitas Evangelista, 2000. "Cross-Functional Influence in New Product Development: An Exploratory Study of Marketing and R...D Perspectives," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(10), pages 1269-1284, October.
- Lynne G. Zucker & Michael R. Darby & Jeff S. Armstrong, 2001.
"Commercializing Knowledge: University Science, Knowledge Capture, and Firm Performance in Biotechnology,"
NBER Working Papers
8499, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lynne G. Zucker & Michael R. Darby & Jeff S. Armstrong, 2003. "Commercializing knowledge: university science, knowledge capture and firm performance in biotechnology," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Sep, pages 149-170.
- Lynne G. Zucker & Michael R. Darby & Jeff S. Armstrong, 2002. "Commercializing Knowledge: University Science, Knowledge Capture, and Firm Performance in Biotechnology," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(1), pages 138-153, January.
- Richard R. Nelson, 1995. "Recent Evolutionary Theorizing about Economic Change," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 48-90, March.
- Uwe Cantner & Tatiana Plotnikova, 2009. "Technological Diversity and Future Product Diversity in the Drug Industry," Jena Economic Research Papers 2009-031, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Yiannaka, Amalia & Fulton, Murray, 2006. "Strategic patent breadth and entry deterrence with drastic product innovations," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 177-202, January.
- Garcia-Vega, Maria, 2006. "Does technological diversification promote innovation?: An empirical analysis for European firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 230-246, March.
- Lionel Nesta & Pier Paolo Saviotti, 2005. "COHERENCE OF THE KNOWLEDGE BASE AND THE FIRM'S INNOVATIVE PERFORMANCE: EVIDENCE FROM THE U.S. PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 123-142, 03.
- Hyukjoon Kim & Hyojeong Lim & Yongtae Park, 2009. "How should firms carry out technological diversification to improve their performance? An analysis of patenting of Korean firms," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(8), pages 757-770.
- Cameron, A Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1986. "Econometric Models Based on Count Data: Comparisons and Applications of Some Estimators and Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 29-53, January.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Nora Sydow & Martin Woerter, 2008. "Is there any Impact of University–Industry Knowledge Transfer on Innovation and Productivity? An Empirical Analysis Based on Swiss Firm Data," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 77-94, March.
- Martin Woerter, 2009. "Technology diversification, product innovations, and technology transfer," KOF Working papers 09-221, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Gambardella, Alfonso & Torrisi, Salvatore, 1998. "Does technological convergence imply convergence in markets? Evidence from the electronics industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 445-463, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kof:wpskof:13-336. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.