Is the behavior of fishers rational under Individual Transferable Quotas (ITQs) regimes? An Experimental Approach
Marine resource depletion is a critical concern for humankind. Individual Transferable Quota (ITQ) regimes are among the most effective measures to tackle this problem. Employing an experimental approach, this study examines the rationality of fishers under an ITQ regime. In particular, this study focuses on the case where fishers can change their own vessel scales in the beginning of each period in each experiment. We find that the higher the quota price is, the more irrationally fishers behave. Moreover, vessel scales and initial allocations can influence the rationality of fishers.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:||Aug 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1-155 Uegahara Ichiban-cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 662-8501|
Web page: http://www-econ.kwansei.ac.jp/~econ/index_e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Lee G., 1991. "A note on market power in ITQ fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 291-296, November.
- M. Keith Chen & Venkat Lakshminarayanan & Laurie R. Santos, 2006. "How Basic Are Behavioral Biases? Evidence from Capuchin Monkey Trading Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(3), pages 517-537, June.
- Quinn Weninger, 1998.
"Assessing Efficiency Gains from Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 750-764.
- Weninger, Quinn, 1998. "Assessing Efficiency Gains From Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5065, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Anderson, Christopher M. & Sutinen, Jon G., 2006. "The effect of initial lease periods on price discovery in laboratory tradable fishing allowance markets," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 164-180, October.
- Kerr, Suzi & Sanchirico, James & Newell, Richard, 2002.
"Fishing Quota Markets,"
dp-02-20, Resources For the Future.
- Anderson, Christopher M., 2004. "How Institutions Affect Outcomes in Laboratory Tradable Fishing Allowance Systems," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 33(2), October.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che, 2003. "Efficiency Gains and Cost Reductions from Individual Transferable Quotas: A Stochastic Cost Frontier for," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec03-6, International and Development Economics.
- Eythórsson, Einar, 2000. "A decade of ITQ-management in Icelandic fisheries: consolidation without consensus," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 483-492, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kgu:wpaper:73. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toshihiro Okada)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.