Backbone services as growth enabling factor - an Input-Output analysis for South Africa
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Sakho, Seynabou & Walkenhorst, Peter, 2008. "Export competitiveness in Bolivia," MPRA Paper 24129, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kaur, Gunjeet & Bordoloi, Sanjib & Rajesh, Raj, 2009. "An empirical investigation on the inter-sectoral linkages in India," MPRA Paper 40419, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2009.
- Park, Se-Hark, 1989. "Linkages between industry and services and their implications for urban employment generation in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 359-379, April.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Beata Javorcik & Molly Lipscomb & Aaditya Mattoo, 2016.
"Services Reform and Manufacturing Performance: Evidence from India,"
Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 126(590), pages 1-39, February.
- Arnold, Jens & Javorcik, Beata & Lipscomb, Molly & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2010. "Services Reform and Manufacturing Performance: Evidence from India," CEPR Discussion Papers 8011, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arnold, Jens Matthias & Javorcik, Beata & Lipscomb, Molly & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2012. "Services reform and manufacturing performance : evidence from India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5948, The World Bank.
- Kowalewski Julia, 2013. "Inter-industrial Relations and Sectoral Employment Development in German Regions," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 233(4), pages 486-504, August.
- Andriamananjara, Soamiely & Brenton, Paul & von Uexkull, Jan Erik & Walkenhorst, Peter, 2009. "Assessing the economic impacts of an economic partnership agreement on Nigeria," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4920, The World Bank.
- R. N. Bharadwaj & Rajesh Chadha, 1991. "Sources of Growth and Inter-Industry Linkages in Indian Economy with Special Reference to the Manufacturing Sector," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 189-219, July.
- Sébastien Miroudot & Rainer Lanz & Alexandros Ragoussis, 2009. "Trade in Intermediate Goods and Services," OECD Trade Policy Papers 93, OECD Publishing.
- Olteanu, Dan, 2010. "Technology-Intensive Industries - Input-Output Analysis," Working Papers of National Institute for Economic Research 100206, Institutul National de Cercetari Economice (INCE).
- Kowalewski, Julia, 2012. "Inter-industrial relations and sectoral employment development in German regions," HWWI Research Papers 127, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Carl F. Christ, 1955. "A Review of Input-Output Analysis," NBER Chapters, in: Input-Output Analysis: An Appraisal, pages 137-182, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2008.
"Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 199-229, December.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2007. "Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade," FIW Working Paper series 002, FIW.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2007. "Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-045/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Felipe, Jesus, 2012. "Tracking the Middle-Income Trap: What is It, Who is in It, and Why? Part 2," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 307, Asian Development Bank.
- Leroy P. Jones, 1976. "The Measurement of Hirschmanian Linkages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(2), pages 323-333.
- Heimler, Alberto, 1991. "Linkages and Vertical Integration in the Chinese Economy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 261-267, May.
- Felipe, Jesus, 2012. "Tracking the Middle-Income Trap: What is It, Who is in It, and Why? Part 1," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 306, Asian Development Bank.
- Pan A. Yotopoulos & Jeffrey B. Nugent, 1973. "A Balanced-Growth Version of the Linkage Hypothesis: A Test," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 87(2), pages 157-171.
- Fernandes, Ana M. & Paunov, Caroline, 2012. "Foreign direct investment in services and manufacturing productivity: Evidence for Chile," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 305-321.
- B. Andreosso‐O'Callaghan & G. Yue, 2004. "Intersectoral Linkages and Key Sectors in China, 1987–1997," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 18(2), pages 165-183, June.
- Jesus Felipe & Arnelyn Abdon & Utsav Kumar, 2012. "Tracking the Middle-income Trap: What Is It, Who Is in It, and Why?," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_715, Levy Economics Institute.
- Hoekman, Bernard, 2006. "Liberalizing trade in services : a survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4030, The World Bank.
- Fiona Tregenna, 2008. "Sectoral Engines of Growth in South Africa: An Analysis of Services and Manufacturing," WIDER Working Paper Series RP2008-98, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Dan Su & Yang Yao, 2017.
"Manufacturing as the key engine of economic growth for middle-income economies,"
Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 47-70, January.
- Su, Dan & Yao, Yang, 2016. "Manufacturing as the Key Engine of Economic Growth for Middle-Income Economies," ADBI Working Papers 573, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Holz, Carsten A., 2011. "The unbalanced growth hypothesis and the role of the state: The case of China's state-owned enterprises," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 220-238, November.
- Bianka Dettmer, 2012. "Business services outsourcing and economic growth: Evidence from a dynamic panel data approach," Jena Economic Research Papers 2012-049, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Satoru Kumagai, 2015. "The Middle-Income Trap from the Viewpoint of Trade Structures: Are the Geese Trapped or Still Flying?," Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 6(03), pages 1-23.
- Lavopa, Alejandro & Szirmai, Adam, 2018.
"Structural modernisation and development traps. An empirical approach,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 112(C), pages 59-73.
- Lavopa A. & Szirmai A., 2014. "Structural modernization and development traps : an empirical approach," MERIT Working Papers 2014-076, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Janusz Heller & Rafal Warzala, 2018. "Is Poland in a middle income trap? A theoretical and empirical analysis," Ekonomia i Prawo, Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 17(4), pages 367-381, December.
- Glawe, Linda & Wagner, Helmut, 2017. "The Deep Determinants at More Subtle Stages of Development: The Example of the Middle-Income Trap Phenomenon," CEAMeS Discussion Paper Series 11/2017, University of Hagen, Center for East Asia Macro-economic Studies (CEAMeS).
- Lim, King Yoong, 2019.
"Industrial Transformation With Heterogeneous Labor And Foreign Experts,"
Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(8), pages 3225-3266, December.
- King Yoong Lim, 2015. "Industrial Transformation with Heterogeneous FDI and Human Capital," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 213, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Bresser-Pereira, Luiz Carlos, 2021. "Brazil's quasi-stagnation and East-Asia growth: A new-developmental explanation," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 500-508.
- Tan Khee Giap & Sasidaran Gopalan & Nursyahida Ahmad, 2018. "Growth Slowdown Analysis for Indonesia’s Subnational Economies: An Empirical Investigation," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 21(03), pages 1-36, September.
- Matthew McCartney, 2017. "Bangladesh 2000-2017: Sustainable Growth, Technology and the Irrelevance of Productivity," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 22(Special E), pages 183-198, September.
- Yoshino, Naoyuki & Taghizadeh-Hesary, Farhad & Otsuka, Miyu, 2020. "Determinants of international remittance inflow in Asia-Pacific middle-income countries," Economic Analysis and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 68(C), pages 29-43.
- Lili Wang & Yi Wen, 2018. "Escaping the Middle-Income Trap: A Cross-Country Analysis on the Patterns of Industrial Upgrading," Working Papers 2018-1, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Gemici, Evrim & Gemici, Zafer, 2021. "A Comparative Study on Turkey’s Science and Technology (S&T) Indicators," OSF Preprints csyud, Center for Open Science.
- Kang, Byeongwoo & Nabeshima, Kaoru & Cheng, Fang-Ting, 2015. "Avoiding the middle income trap : indigenous innovative effort vs foreign innovative effort," IDE Discussion Papers 509, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Linda Glawe & Helmut Wagner, 2016.
"The Middle-Income Trap: Definitions, Theories and Countries Concerned—A Literature Survey,"
Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 58(4), pages 507-538, December.
- Glawe, Linda & Wagner, Helmut, 2016. "The middle-income trap – definitions, theories and countries concerned: A literature survey," CEAMeS Discussion Paper Series 2/2016, University of Hagen, Center for East Asia Macro-economic Studies (CEAMeS).
- Glawe, Linda & Wagner, Helmut, 2016. "The middle-income trap - definitions, theories and countries concerned: a literature survey," MPRA Paper 71196, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G.A. Diah Utari, 2014. "Growth and Inequality in Indonesia: Does Kuznets Curve Hold?," EcoMod2014 7353, EcoMod.
- Vivarelli, Marco, 2018.
"Globalization, Structural Change and Innovation in Emerging Economies: The Impact on Employment and Skills,"
IZA Discussion Papers
11849, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Marco Vivarelli, 2018. "Globalization, Structural Change and Innovation in Emerging Economies: The Impact on Employment and Skills," LEM Papers Series 2018/29, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Vivarelli, Marco, 2018. "Globalization, Structural Change and Innovation in Emerging Economies : The Impact on Employment and Skills," GLO Discussion Paper Series 254, Global Labor Organization (GLO).
- Vivarelli, Marco, 2018. "Globalisation, structural change and innovation in emerging economies: The impact on employment and skills," MERIT Working Papers 2018-037, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Charles Gore, 2017. "Late industrialisation, urbanisation and the middle-income trap: an analytical approach and the case of Vietnam," Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, Cambridge Political Economy Society, vol. 10(1), pages 35-57.
- Petralia, Sergio & Balland, Pierre-Alexandre & Morrison, Andrea, 2017. "Climbing the ladder of technological development," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 46(5), pages 956-969.
More about this item
KeywordsBackbone Services; Growth; Input-Output Analysis; South Africa;
All these keywords.
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
- L9 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities
- O1 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O4 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2014-06-02 (Africa)
- NEP-GRO-2014-06-02 (Economic Growth)
- NEP-HME-2014-06-02 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jrp:jrpwrp:2014-016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.wiwiss.uni-jena.de/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Markus Pasche (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.wiwiss.uni-jena.de/ .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.