Explaining the Dynamics in Perceptions of Job Insecurity in Russia
Contrary to the experiences of other countries, perceptions of job insecurity in Russia were not correlated with the rates of unemployment and the business cycle over the last decade. We develop the theoretical framework that predicts that the individual perceptions of job insecurity depend on regional unemployment rates and on the within-group variance of wage distribution faced by workers. We test this hypothesis using data from ten panel rounds of Russia Longitudinal Monitoring Survey. Our results indicate that while higher rates of unemployment make workers feel less job secure, the wage compression during recessions reduces their fears of losing a job. In periods of economic expansion the effect of lower unemployment rates is offset by the higher fears of losing better paying jobs.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arne Bigsten & Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps & Bernard Gauthier & Jan Willem Gunning & Abena Oduro & Remco Oostendorp & Cathy Pattillo & Mans S–derbom & Francis Teal & Albert Zeufack, 2003.
"Risk Sharing in Labor Markets,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 17(3), pages 349-366, December.
- Andrew E. Clark & Andreas Knabe & Steffen Rätzel, 2008.
"Boon or Bane? Others' unemployment, well-being and job insecurity,"
PSE Working Papers
- Clark, Andrew & Knabe, Andreas & Rätzel, Steffen, 2010. "Boon or bane? Others' unemployment, well-being and job insecurity," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 52-61, January.
- Andrew Clark & Andreas Knabe & Steffen Rätzel, 2008. "Boon or Bane? Others' Unemployment, Well-being and Job Insecurity," CESifo Working Paper Series 2501, CESifo Group Munich.
- Clark, Andrew E. & Knabe, Andreas & Rätzel, Steffen, 2009. "Boon or Bane? Others' Unemployment, Well-being and Job Insecurity," IZA Discussion Papers 4210, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrew E. Clark & Andreas Knabe & Steffen Rätzel, 2010. "Boon or bane? Others' unemployment, well-being and job insecurity," Post-Print halshs-00754489, HAL.
- Andrew Clark & Andreas Knabe & Steffen Rätzel, 2008. "Boon or Bane?: Others' Unemployment, Well-Being and Job Insecurity," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 153, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Melvin Stephens, Jr., 2003.
"Job Loss Expectations, Realizations, and Household Consumption Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
9508, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Melvin Stephens, 2004. "Job Loss Expectations, Realizations, and Household Consumption Behavior," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 253-269, February.
- David Campbell & Alan Carruth & Andrew Dickerson & Francis Green, 2008.
"Job Insecurity and Wages,"
Studies in Economics
0813, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Vladimir Gimpelson & Aleksey Oshchepkov, 2012.
"Does more unemployment cause more fear of unemployment?,"
IZA Journal of Labor & Development,
Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 1-26, December.
- Vladimir Gimpelson & Aleksey Oshchepkov, 2012. "Does More Unemployment Cause More Fear of Unemployment?," HSE Working papers WP BRP 13/EC/2012, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Simon Luechinger & Stephan Meier & Alois Stutzer, 2010.
"Why Does Unemployment Hurt the Employed?: Evidence from the Life Satisfaction Gap Between the Public and the Private Sector,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 45(4), pages 998-1045.
- Luechinger, Simon & Meier, Stephan & Stutzer, Alois, 2008. "Why Does Unemployment Hurt the Employed? Evidence from the Life Satisfaction Gap between the Public and the Private Sector," IZA Discussion Papers 3385, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Simon Luechinger & Stephan Meier & Alois Stutzer, 2008. "Why Does Unemployment Hurt the Employed? Evidence from the Life Satisfaction Gap between the Public and the Private Sector," Working papers 2008/02, Faculty of Business and Economics - University of Basel.
- V. Gimpelson & G. Monusova., 2010. "Fear of Unemployment: Cross-Country Comparisons," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 2.
- Caroli, Eve & Garcia-Penalosa, Cecilia, 2002.
"Risk aversion and rising wage inequality,"
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 21-26, September.
- Linz, Susan J. & Semykina, Anastasia, 2010. "Perceptions of economic insecurity: Evidence from Russia," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 357-385, December.
- Gimpelson, Vladimir & Kapeliushnikov, Rostislav, 2011. "Labor Market Adjustment: Is Russia Different?," IZA Discussion Papers 5588, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dickerson, Andy & Green, Francis, 2012.
"Fears and realisations of employment insecurity,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 198-210.
- Thomas Lemieux & W. Bentley Macleod & Daniel Parent, 2006.
"Performance Pay And Wage Inequality,"
Departmental Working Papers
2006-08, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Lemieux, Thomas & MacLeod, W. Bentley & Parent, Daniel, 2007. "Performance Pay and Wage Inequality," IZA Discussion Papers 2850, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thomas Lemieux & W. Bentley MacLeod & Daniel Parent, 2007. "Performance Pay and Wage Inequality," NBER Working Papers 13128, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clark, Andrew E. & Oswald, Andrew J. & Warr, Peter B., 1994. "Is job satisfaction u-shaped in age ?," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9407, CEPREMAP.
- Keane, Michael & Moffitt, Robert & Runkle, David, 1988. "Real Wages over the Business Cycle: Estimating the Impact of Heterogeneity with Micro Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(6), pages 1232-66, December.
- Daniel Aaronson & Daniel G. Sullivan, 1999. "Worker insecurity and aggregate wage growth," Working Paper Series WP-99-30, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Green, Francis & Felstead, Alan & Burchell, Brendan, 2000. " Job Insecurity and the Difficulty of Regaining Employment: An Empirical Study of Unemployment Expectations," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(0), pages 855-83, Special I.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6422. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.