Estimating the Effect of a Retraining Program for Displaced Workers on Their Transition to Permanent Jobs
In this paper we estimate the short-term effects of a French retraining program that was intended to improve reemployment prospects of displaced workers. Our empirical analysis uses non-experimental data collected by the French Ministry of Labour. Transitions from unemployment to permanent vs. temporary jobs are assumed to be generated by a dependent competing risks duration model. Moreover we assume that program entry but also direct transitions from the program to employment are both affected by a selectivity process depending on observable and unobservable individual heterogeneity. We find mixed evidence regarding relevance of the program. For displaced workers who join the program, program participation increases the average probability to obtain a permanent job by 8 points (passing from 42 to 50%). However, for displaced workers who do not join the program, this average probability would have been increased by 28 points (passing from 43 to 71%) had they participated in the program. We conclude that, although the program has been globally effective, it has been insufficiently proposed to the displaced workers who would have benefited the most from it.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in French under the title: "Conventions de conversion et retour à l'emploi", Economie et Prévision, 2004 (164-165), 93-111|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce C. Fallick, 1996.
"A review of the recent empirical literature on displaced workers,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 50(1), pages 5-16, October.
- Bruce C. Fallick, 1995. "A review of the recent empirical literature on displaced workers," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-14, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Farber, Henry S, 1999. "Alternative and Part-Time Employment Arrangements as a Response to Job Loss," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages S142-69, October.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1991. "Are Workers Permanently Scarred by Job Displacements?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 319-24, March.
- Bonnal, Liliane & Fougere, Denis & Serandon, Anne, 1997. "Evaluating the Impact of French Employment Policies on Individual Labour Market Histories," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(4), pages 683-713, October.
- Fougere, Denis & Kramarz, Francis & Magnac, Thierry, 2000.
"Youth employment policies in France,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 928-942, May.
- FougÃ¨re & Kramarz & Thierry Magnac, 2000. "Youth employment policies in France," Working Papers 156232, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Fougère, Denis & Kramarz, Francis & Magnac, Thierry, 2000. "Youth Employment Policies In France," CEPR Discussion Papers 2394, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence Katz, 1989.
"Layoffs and Lemons,"
629, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence Katz, 1989. "Layoffs and Lemons," NBER Working Papers 2968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gibbons, R. & Katz, L.F., 1989. "Layoffs And Lemons," Working papers 531, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Gibbons, Robert & Katz, Lawrence F., 1991. "Layoffs and Lemons," Scholarly Articles 3442782, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200041 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mitali Das & Whitney K. Newey & Francis Vella, 2003.
"Nonparametric Estimation of Sample Selection Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 70(1), pages 33-58.
- Mitali Das & Whitney K. Newey & Francis Vella, 2003. "Nonparametric Estimation of Sample Selection Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 70(1), pages 33-58, January.
- David Margolis, 2000.
"Worker Displacement in France,"
2000-01, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Lori G. Kletzer, 1998. "Job Displacement," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 115-136, Winter.
- Florens, J.-P. & Fougère, D. & Mouchart, M., .
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1213, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jacobson, Louis S & LaLonde, Robert J & Sullivan, Daniel G, 1993.
"Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(4), pages 685-709, September.
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel G. Sullivan, 1992. "Earnings losses of displaced workers," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 92-28, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel Sullivan, 1992. "Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 92-11, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Lalive, R. & van Ours, J.C. & Zweimüller, J., 2000.
"The Impact of Active Labor Market Programs and Benefit Entitlement Rules on the Duration of Unemployment,"
2000-41, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Lalive, Rafael & van Ours, Jan C. & Zweimüller, Josef, 2000. "The Impact of Active Labor Market Programs and Benefit Entitlement Rules on the Duration of Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 149, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Henry S. Farber, 1999. "Alternative and Part-Time Employment Arrangements as a Response to Job Loss," NBER Working Papers 7002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dar, Amit & Gill, Indermit S, 1998. "Evaluating Retraining Programs in OECD Countries: Lessons Learned," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 13(1), pages 79-101, February.
- Addison, John T & Portugal, Pedro, 1989. "Job Displacement, Relative Wage Changes, and Duration of Unemployment," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(3), pages 281-302, July.
- Paul Swaim & Michael Podgursky, 1991. "The Distribution of Economic Losses among Displaced Workers: A Replication," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 26(4), pages 742-755.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp1513. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.