Real Options Effects on Employment: Does Exchange Rate Uncertainty Matter for Aggregation?
In a baseline micro model a band of inaction due to hiring- and firing-costs is widened by option value effects of exchange rate uncertainty. Based on this micro foundation an aggregation approach is presented. Under uncertainty, intervals of weak response to exchange rate reversals (called 'play' areas) are introduced on the macro-level. 'Spurts' in new employment or firing may occur after an initially weak response. Since these mechanisms may apply to other "investment" cases where the aggregation of microeconomic real options effects under uncertainty are relevant, they may even be of a more general interest.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: German Economic Review, 2005, 6 (2), 185-203|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1990.
"Irreversibility, Uncertainty, and Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
3307, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert, 1989. "Irreversibility, uncertainty, and investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 294, The World Bank.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1990. "Irreversibility, uncertainty, and investment," Working papers 3137-90., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- John F. Henry & L. Randall Wray, 1998.
- van Garderen, Kees Jan & Lee, Kevin & Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2000.
"Cross-sectional aggregation of non-linear models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 285-331, April.
- Caballero, Ricardo J & Engel, Eduardo M R A & Haltiwanger, John, 1997.
"Aggregate Employment Dynamics: Building from Microeconomic Evidence,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(1), pages 115-37, March.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & John Haltiwanger, 1995. "Aggregate Employment Dynamics: Building From Microeconomic Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5042, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Eduardo Engel & John Haltiwanger, 1996. "Aggregate Employment Dynamics: Building from Microeconomic Evidence," Documentos de Trabajo 6, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Darby, Julia, et al, 1999.
"The Impact of Exchange Rate Uncertainty on the Level of Investment,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(454), pages C55-67, March.
- Julia Darby & Andrew Hughes Hallett & Jonathan Ireland & Laura Piscitelli, . "The Impact of Exchange Rate Uncertainty on the Level of Investment," ICMM Discussion Papers 49, Department of Economics University of Strathclyde.
- Darby, Julia & Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Ireland, Jonathan & Piscitelli, Laura, 1998. "The Impact of Exchange Rate Uncertainty on the Level of Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1896, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Samuel Bentolila & Giuseppe Bertola, 1990. "Firing Costs and Labour Demand: How Bad is Eurosclerosis?," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(3), pages 381-402.
- Cross, Rod, 1994. "The Macroeconomic Consequences of Discontinuous Adjustment: Selective Memory of Non-dominated Extrema," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 41(2), pages 212-21, May.
- Gocke, Matthias, 2002. " Various Concepts of Hysteresis Applied in Economics," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 167-88, April.
- Laura Piscitelli, .
"A Test for Strong Hysteresis,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1997
2, Society for Computational Economics.
- Dixit, A., 1988.
"Entry And Exit Decisions Under Uncertainty,"
91, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Cushman, David O, 1985. "Real Exchange Rate Risk, Expectations, and the Level of Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 297-308, May.
- Parsley, David C & Wei, Shang-Jin, 1993. "Insignificant and Inconsequential Hysteresis: The Case of U.S. Bilateral Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 606-13, November.
- Agathe Cote, . "Exchange Rate Volatility and Trade: A Survey," Staff Working Papers 94-5, Bank of Canada.
- Belke, Ansgar & Gocke, Matthias, 1999. "A Simple Model of Hysteresis in Employment under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 46(3), pages 260-86, August.
- Amable, Bruno & Henry, Jerome & Lordon, Frederic & Topol, Richard, 1994. "Strong hysteresis versus zero-root dynamics," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 43-47.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1987. "Open Economy Macroeconomics: New Directions," NBER Working Papers 2372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul R. Krugman, 1986.
"Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchage Rate Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
2017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul Krugman, 1989. "Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchange Rate Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(4), pages 635-654.
- Caballero, Ricardo J, 1991. "On the Sign of the Investment-Uncertainty Relationship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 279-88, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp1126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.