Active Ingredients: Exploring the Key Factors Affecting the Rising Cost of Developing New Drugs
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Nicola Gennaioli & Yueran Ma & Andrei Shleifer, 2016.
"Expectations and Investment,"
NBER Macroeconomics Annual, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(1), pages 379-431.
- Nicola Gennaioli & Yueran Ma & Andrei Shleifer, 2015. "Expectations and Investment," NBER Working Papers 21260, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicola Gennaioli & Yueran Ma & Andrei Shleifer, 2016. "Expectations and Investment," Working Paper 250941, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Nicola Gennaioli & Yueran Ma & Andrei Shleifer, 2016. "Expectations and investment," BIS Working Papers 562, Bank for International Settlements.
- DiMasi, Joseph A. & Grabowski, Henry G. & Hansen, Ronald W., 2016. "Innovation in the pharmaceutical industry: New estimates of R&D costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 20-33.
- Danzon, Patricia M. & Nicholson, Sean & Pereira, Nuno Sousa, 2005.
"Productivity in pharmaceutical-biotechnology R&D: the role of experience and alliances,"
Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 317-339, March.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Sean Nicholson & Nuno Sousa Pereira, 2003. "Productivity in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology R&D: The Role of Experience and Alliances," NBER Working Papers 9615, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mestre-Ferrandiz, J. & Sussex, J. & Towse, A., 2012. "The R&D Cost of a New Medicine," Monographs, Office of Health Economics, number 000135, January.
- Grossmann, Volker, 2013.
"Do cost-sharing and entry deregulation curb pharmaceutical innovation?,"
Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 881-894.
- Volker Grossmann, 2011. "Do Cost-sharing and Entry Deregulation Curb Pharmaceutical Innovation?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3439, CESifo.
- Martina Feyzrakhmanova & Constantin Gurdgiev, 2016. "Patents and R&D expenditure effects on equity returns in pharmaceutical industry," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(4), pages 278-283, March.
- Jeffrey S. Stonebraker, 2002. "How Bayer Makes Decisions to Develop New Drugs," Interfaces, INFORMS, vol. 32(6), pages 77-90, December.
- Kamuriwo, Dzidziso Samuel & Baden-Fuller, Charles, 2016. "Knowledge integration using product R&D outsourcing in biotechnology," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(5), pages 1031-1045.
- Penny Breeze & Alan Brennan, 2015. "Valuing Trial Designs from a Pharmaceutical Perspective Using Value‐Based Pricing," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(11), pages 1468-1482, November.
- Dechow, Patricia M. & Sloan, Richard G., 1991. "Executive incentives and the horizon problem : An empirical investigation," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 51-89, March.
- William S. Comanor & Stuart O. Schweitzer, 2007. "Determinants of drug prices and expenditures," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(4-5), pages 357-370.
- Jie Chen & John A Rizzo, 2010. "Who Pays for Drug Quality?," Eastern Economic Journal, Palgrave Macmillan;Eastern Economic Association, vol. 36(2), pages 239-254, Spring.
- Laura B. Cardinal, 2001. "Technological Innovation in the Pharmaceutical Industry: The Use of Organizational Control in Managing Research and Development," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(1), pages 19-36, February.
- John A. Vernon & Joseph H. Golec & Joseph A. Dimasi, 2010. "Drug development costs when financial risk is measured using the Fama–French three‐factor model," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(8), pages 1002-1005, August.
- Joseph Dimasi & Henry Grabowski & John Vernon, 1995.
"R&D Costs, Innovative Output and Firm Size in the Pharmaceutical Industry,"
International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 201-219.
- Joseph A. Dimasi & Grabowski, Henry G. & Vernon, John, 1995. "R&D Costs, Innovative Output and Firm Size in the Pharmaceutical Industry," Working Papers 95-16, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Schnee, Jerome E, 1972. "Development Cost: Determinants and Overruns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 347-374, July.
- Healy, Paul M., 1985. "The effect of bonus schemes on accounting decisions," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1-3), pages 85-107, April.
- DiMasi, Joseph A. & Hansen, Ronald W. & Grabowski, Henry G., 2003. "The price of innovation: new estimates of drug development costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 151-185, March.
More about this item
Keywordsemployee effect; prescription drugs; CEO compensation; drug development; price earnings ratio; profitability; Research & Development;
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- J33 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Compensation Packages; Payment Methods
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp10817. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Holger Hinte). General contact details of provider: http://www.iza.org .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.