Cellulosic Biofuel Potential Under Land Constraints: Locations, Plant Sizes and Feedstock Supply Costs
We develop a long-run cost model for cellulosic biofuel production that accounts for locational differences in biomass production conditions.� The cost model minimizes the per-gallon cost of biofuel when feedstock costs vary within local biomass-producing regions and plant size is determined by local feedstock supply and size economies.� Applying the model, we estimate U.S. ethanol supply costs from both corn stover and switchgrass.� Model results are used to identify the locations and specific plant sizes from which stover-and switchgrass-based ethanol would meet cellulosic biofuel targets at least cost.�
|Date of creation:||13 Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence D. Mapemba & Francis M. Epplin & Charles M. Taliaferro & Raymond L. Huhnke, 2007. "Biorefinery Feedstock Production on Conservation Reserve Program Land," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 29(2), pages 227-246.
- Torre Ugarte, Daniel de la & Walsh, Marie E. & Shapouri, Hosein & Slinsky, Stephen P., 2003. "The Economic Impacts of Bioenergy Crop Production on U.S. Crop Production," Agricultural Economics Reports 33997, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Sarah C. Brechbill & Wallace E. Tyner, 2008. "The Economics Of Biomass Collection,Transportation, And Supply To Indiana Cellulosic And Electric Utility Facilities," Working Papers 08-03, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Gustafson, Cole R. & Maung, Thein A. & Saxowsky, David M. & Nowatzki, John & Miljkovic, Tatjana, 2011. "Economics of Sourcing Cellulosic Feedstock for Energy Production," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103260, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Miranowski, John & Rosburg, Alicia, 2010. "An Economic Breakeven Model of Cellulosic Feedstock Production and Ethanol Conversion with Implied Carbon Pricing," Staff General Research Papers 13166, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bergtold, Jason S. & Fewell, Jason E. & Williams, Jeffery R., 2011. "Farmers’ Willingness to Grow Sweet Sorghum as a Cellulosic Bioenergy Crop: A Stated Choice Approach," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 108068, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:36358. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.