An Agent-Based Computational Laboratory for Testing the Economic Reliability of Wholesale Power Market Designs
In April 2003 the U.S. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) proposed the Wholesale Power Market Platform (WPMP) for common adoption by U.S. wholesale power markets. The WPMP is a complicated market design that has been adopted in some regions of the U.S. but resisted in others on the grounds that its reliability has not yet been sufficiently tested. This article reports on the development of an agent-based computational framework for exploring the economic reliability of the WPMP. The key issue under study is the extent to which the WPMP is capable of sustaining efficient, orderly, and fair market outcomes over time despite attempts by market participants to gain advantage through strategic pricing, capacity withholding, and/or induced transmission congestion. Related work can be accessed at: http://www2.econ.iastate.edu/tesfatsi/AMESMarketHome.htm
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tesfatsion, Leigh, 2001. "Nonlocal Sensitivity Analysis with Automatic Differentiation," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1990, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kalaba, Robert E. & Tesfatsion, Leigh S., 1991. "Solving Nonlinear Equations By Adaptive Homotopy Continuation," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11186, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kalaba, Robert E. & Tesfatsion, Leigh S., 1990.
"Nonlocal Automated Sensitivity Analysis,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
11191, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Tesfatsion, Leigh & Judd, Kenneth L., 2006. "Handbook of Computational Economics, Vol. 2: Agent-Based Computational Economics," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10368, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Tesfatsion, Leigh, 1991. "Automatic Evaluation of Higher-Order Partial Derivatives for Nonlocal Sensitivity Analysis," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11183, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Leigh Tesfatsion, 2002. "Agent-Based Computational Economics," Computational Economics 0203001, EconWPA, revised 15 Aug 2002.
- Severin Borenstein, 2002. "The Trouble With Electricity Markets: Understanding California's Restructuring Disaster," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 191-211, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:12388. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.