Aging Workforces and Challenges to Human Resource Management in German Firms
The aim of this paper is to provide an overview of the main challenges imposed by demographic change on the human resource management (HRM) policies of German companies. Although many more aspects of business are affected by demographic change, such as changes in consumption or in savings and investment and therefore in capital costs, we concentrate on changes in personnel policies prompted by an aging workforce. We cover a wide range of HRM policies, starting with recruitment problems, moving on to training issues, wages and incentives, and end with problems concerning innovation and technological change.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++41 1 634 29 27
Fax: ++41 1 634 43 48
Web page: http://www.isu.uzh.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexandra Spitz-Oener, 2006. "Technical Change, Job Tasks, and Rising Educational Demands: Looking outside the Wage Structure," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 235-270, April.
- Judith K. Hellerstein & David Neumark, 2007.
"Production Function and Wage Equation Estimation with Heterogeneous Labor: Evidence from a New Matched Employer-Employee Data Set,"
in: Hard-to-Measure Goods and Services: Essays in Honor of Zvi Griliches, pages 31-71
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Judith K. Hellerstein & David Neumark, 2004. "Production Function and Wage Equation Estimation with Heterogeneous Labor: Evidence from a New Matched Employer-Employee Data Set," NBER Working Papers 10325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Judith Hellerstein & David Neumark, 2004. "Production Function and Wage Equation Estimation with Heterogenous Labor: Evidence from a New Matched Employer-Employee Dataset," Working Papers 04-05, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Patrick Aubert & Eve Caroli & Muriel Roger, 2006.
"New technologies, organisation and age: firm-level evidence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(509), pages F73-F93, 02.
- Roger, Muriel & Aubert, Patrick & Caroli, Eve, 2006. "New technologies, organisation and age: firm-level evidence," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10051, Paris Dauphine University.
- Weinberg, Bruce A., 2004. "Experience and Technology Adoption," IZA Discussion Papers 1051, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Benoit Dostie, 2006.
"Wages, Productivity and Aging,"
Cahiers de recherche
06-15, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Benoit Dostie, 2006. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," Cahiers de recherche 0645, CIRPEE.
- Dostie, Benoit, 2006. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," IZA Discussion Papers 2496, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Benoit Dostie, 2007. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-02, CIRANO.
- Borghans,Lex & Weel,Bas,ter, 2002. "Do Older Workers Have More Trouble Using a Computer Than Younger Workers?," ROA Research Memorandum 003, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Rebick Marcus E., 1995. "Rewards in the Afterlife: Late Career Job Placements as Incentives in the Japanese Firm," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-28, March.
- Steven Stern & Petra Todd, 2000. "A Test Of Lazear’S Mandatory Retirement Model," Virginia Economics Online Papers 391, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Spitz, Alexandra, 2005. "The Effects of Changes in the Unemployment Compensation System on the Adoption of IT by Older Workers," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-40, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Schneider, Hilmar & Stein, Dieter, 2006. "Report No. 6: Personalpolitische Strategien deutscher Unternehmen zur Bewältigung demografisch bedingter Rekrutierungsengpässe bei Führungskräften," IZA Research Reports 6, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hutchens, Robert M, 1989. "Seniority, Wages and Productivity: A Turbulent Decade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(4), pages 49-64, Fall.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Chung-Yi Tse, 2006. "Creative Destruction in Industries," NBER Working Papers 12520, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1979. "Why Is There Mandatory Retirement?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1261-84, December.
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:37:i:1:p:53-63 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iso:wpaper:0079. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IBW IT)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.