Assessing Hospital Efficiency: Non-parametric Evidence for Portugal
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Jacobs,Rowena & Smith,Peter C. & Street,Andrew, 2006. "Measuring Efficiency in Health Care," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521851442.
- Antonio Afonso & Sonia Fernandes, 2006. "Measuring local government spending efficiency: Evidence for the Lisbon region," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(1), pages 39-53.
- Afonso, Antonio & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2005.
"Non-Parametric Approaches to Education and Health Efficiency in OECD Countries,"
Journal of Applied Economics,
Universidad del CEMA, vol. 8(2), pages 1-20, November.
- AntÃ³nio Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2005. "Non-parametric approaches to education and health efficiency in OECD countries," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 8, pages 227-246, November.
- Elizabeth Docteur & Howard Oxley, 2003.
"Health-Care Systems: Lessons from the Reform Experience,"
OECD Health Working Papers
9, OECD Publishing.
- Elizabeth Docteur & Howard Oxley, 2003. "Health-Care Systems: Lessons from the Reform Experience," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 374, OECD Publishing.
- Elvira Lima & David K. Whynes, 2003. "Finance and performance of Portuguese hospitals," NIMA Working Papers 20, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Afonso, Antonio & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2006.
"Cross-country efficiency of secondary education provision: A semi-parametric analysis with non-discretionary inputs,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 476-491, May.
- António Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2005. "Cross-country Efficiency of Secondary Education Provision: a Semi-parametric Analysis with Nondiscretionary Inputs," Working Papers Department of Economics 2005/05, ISEG - Lisbon School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, Universidade de Lisboa.
- Afonso, António & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2005. "Cross-country efficiency of secondary education provision: a semi-parametric analysis with non-discretionary inputs," Working Paper Series 494, European Central Bank.
- E Zere & Diane Mcintyre & T Addison, 2001. "Technical Efficiency And Productivity Of Public Sector Hospitals In Three South African Provinces," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 69(2), pages 336-358, June.
- Bruce Hollingsworth & P.J. Dawson & N. Maniadakis, 1999. "Efficiency measurement of health care: a review of non‐parametric methods and applications," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 161-172, July.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- repec:ags:jaecon:37549 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mónica Duarte Oliveira & Carlos Gouveia Pinto, 2005. "Health care reform in Portugal: an evaluation of the NHS experience," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(S1), pages 203-220.
- António Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2005.
"Public sector efficiency: An international comparison,"
Springer, vol. 123(3), pages 321-347, June.
- Schuknecht, Ludger & Tanzi, Vito & Afonso, António, 2003. "Public sector efficiency: an international comparison," Working Paper Series 242, European Central Bank.
- Margit Sommersguter-Reichmann, 2000. "The impact of the Austrian hospital financing reform on hospital productivity: empirical evidence on efficiency and technology changes using a non-parametric input-based Malmquist approach," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 309-321, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Miika Linna, 1998. "Measuring hospital cost efficiency with panel data models," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(5), pages 415-427.
- Zere, E., 2000. "Hospital Efficiency in Sub-Saharan Africa. Evidence from South Africa," Research Paper 187, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Valdmanis, Vivian, 1992. "Sensitivity analysis for DEA models : An empirical example using public vs. NFP hospitals," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 185-205, July.
- Breyer, Friedrich, 1987. "The specification of a hospital cost function : A comment on the recent literature," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 147-157, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Abbas, Touqeer & Awan, Masood Sarwar & Aslam, Muhammad Amir & Waqas, Muhammad, 2011. "Analyzing the efficiency differences among basic health units in Sargodha District," MPRA Paper 32244, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- António Afonso & Ricardo Sousa, 2011.
"The macroeconomic effects of fiscal policy in Portugal: a Bayesian SVAR analysis,"
Portuguese Economic Journal,
Springer;Instituto Superior de Economia e Gestao, vol. 10(1), pages 61-82, April.
- Ricardo M. Sousa & António Afonso, 2009. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Fiscal Policy in Portugal: a Bayesian SVAR Analysis," NIPE Working Papers 3/2009, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- António Afonso & Ricardo M. Sousa, 2009. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Fiscal Policy in Portugal: a Bayesian SVAR Analysis," Working Papers Department of Economics 2009/09, ISEG - Lisbon School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, Universidade de Lisboa.
- Diogo Cunha Ferreira & Rui Cunha Marques, 2016. "Should inpatients be adjusted by their complexity and severity for efficiency assessment? Evidence from Portugal," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 43-57, March.
- Diogo Ferreira & Rui Marques, 2015. "Did the corporatization of Portuguese hospitals significantly change their productivity?," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 16(3), pages 289-303, April.
- António AFONSO, & Mohamed AYADI, & Sourour RAMZI, 2013. "Assessing productivity performance of basic and secondary education in Tunisia: a Malmquist analysis," Working Papers Department of Economics 2013/19, ISEG - Lisbon School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, Universidade de Lisboa.
- PINTO, Claudio, 2013. "Complexity of Treatment, and Changes in Efficiency and Productivity for Directly Managed Italian Hospitals," CELPE Discussion Papers 124, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
More about this item
KeywordsPublic hospitals; Data Envelopment Analysis; Malmquist indices; Portugal.;
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- H51 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Health
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Behavior
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ise:isegwp:wp72008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria). General contact details of provider: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.