Using Job Embeddedness Factors to Explain Voluntary Turnover in Five European Countries
This paper investigates actual voluntary turnover from the employee's perspective using a large European dataset integrating the available job factors related to job embeddedness and other variables that have been related to turnover in previous turnover models. The study shows that the traditional turnover model, where ease of movement and desire of movement are regarded as important predictors of turnover, receives support. However, the study also shows the job embeddedness factors play a key role in predicting turnover as well, even after the role of demographic and ease and desire of movement variables are taken into consideration. Thus, this shows that the turnover decision is not only about the individual's attitudes towards work or about the actual opportunities in the labor market, but these decisions are the result of an analysis of complex web of factors that are labeled job embeddedness.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of Human Resource Management, 2008, vol. 19(9), 1553-1568|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11, Porte des Sciences, L-4366 Esch-sur-Alzette, G.-D. Luxembourg|
Phone: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 1
Fax: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 700
Web page: http://iriss.ceps.lu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mussard, Stéphane & Philippe, Bernard, 2006.
"De la relation épargne/investissement à l'évolution du taux de chômage,"
IRISS Working Paper Series
2006-05, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Stéphane Mussard & Bernard Philippe, 2006. "De la relation épargne/investissement à l’évolution du taux de chômage," Cahiers de recherche 06-19, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Chiappero-Martinetti, Enrica & Civardi, Marisa, 2006. "Measuring poverty within and between population subgroups," IRISS Working Paper Series 2006-06, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
- Fusco, Alessio & Dickes, Paul, 2006. "Rasch Model and Multidimensional Poverty Measurement," IRISS Working Paper Series 2006-02, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Van Kerm, Philippe, 2006.
"Comparisons of income mobility profiles,"
ISER Working Paper Series
2006-36, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Royalty, Anne Beeson, 1998. "Job-to-Job and Job-to-Nonemployment Turnover by Gender and Education Level," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(2), pages 392-443, April.
- Franco Peracchi, 2002. "The European Community Household Panel: A review," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 63-90.
- Voynov, Ivan, 2005. "Household Income Composition and Household Goods," IRISS Working Paper Series 2005-02, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Williams, Donald R., 2006. "The Economic Returns to Multiple Language Usage in Western Europe," IRISS Working Paper Series 2006-07, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Davia, Maria A., 2005. "Job mobility and wage mobility at the beginning of the working career: a comparative view across Europe," ISER Working Paper Series 2005-03, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:irs:iriswp:2006-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Philippe Van Kerm)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.