European Coexistence Bureau. Best Practice Documents for coexistence of genetically modified crops with conventional and organic farming. 3. Coexistence of genetically modified maize and honey production
The Technical Working Group (TWG) for Maize of the European Coexistence Bureau (ECoB) analysed in 2010 the best practices for coexistence between GM maize crop production with non-GM maize . In this document the analysis is extended to the coexistence between GM maize crop production and honey production in the EU. The TWG assessed if any further coexistence measure to those currently recommended in the previous document was required to limit adventitious presence of GM maize pollen in honey avoiding economic loses for producers. The terms of reference for this review are presented in Section 1. An overview of the structure of the honey-producing sector in Europe is given in Section 2. The EcoB TWG maize held two meetings in June and November 2012 and examined state-of-art-knowledge from scientific literature, study reports and empirical evidence provided by numerous finished and ongoing studies looking at the factors determining the presence of pollen in general or maize pollen (even specifically GM maize pollen) in samples of EU produced honey. In addition to biological factors (related to honeybee behaviour and maize pollen characteristics) the TWG also analysed existing mandatory quality standards that impact the eventual presence of pollen in commercial honey. The review of this information (coming from a total of 132 references) is presented in a structured manner in Section 3 of this document. Finally, the TWG reviewed the state of the art and possibilities for the detection and identification of traces of GM maize pollen in honey (Section 4). The analysis of existing information indicates that total pollen presence in honey ranges between 0.003 to 0.1 % in weight. Considering the share of maize pollen in total pollen found in honey, the extrapolated figures for maize pollen in honey would be around an order of magnitude lower. Nevertheless, it is important to stress that studies aiming at the detection/identification of this trace-levels of maize pollen are usually carried out with morphological identification and counting of pollen grains, and that a routine DNA analysis based on validated PCR protocol able to quantify total pollen in honey is unavailable. Once such a method could be found, the maize pollen fraction as well as the GM-pollen fraction of the total pollen could be established. In conclusion, the TWG maize of the ECoB, based on the analysis of the evidence summarised in this document concludes that no changes in the Best practice document on maize coexistence of July 20101 are necessary to ensure that adventitious presence of GM maize pollen in honey is far below legal labelling thresholds and even below 0.1 %.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Inca Garcilaso, s/n 41092 Seville|
Phone: +34 954 48 8318
Fax: +34 954 48 8300
Web page: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabio Ghironi & Marc J. Melitz, 2004.
"International Trade and Macroeconomic Dynamics with Heterogeneous Firms,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
599, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Fabio Ghironi & Marc J. Melitz, 2005. "International Trade and Macroeconomic Dynamics with Heterogeneous Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 120(3), pages 865-915.
- Ghironi, Fabio & Melitz, Marc, 2005. "International Trade and Macroeconomic Dynamics with Heterogeneous Firms," Scholarly Articles 3228377, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Fabio Ghironi & Marc J. Melitz, 2004. "International Trade and Macroeconomic Dynamics with Heterogeneous Firms," NBER Working Papers 10540, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fabio Ghironi & Marc Melitz, 2004. "International Trade and Macroeconomic Dynamics with Heterogeneous Firms," 2004 Meeting Papers 451, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ghironi, Fabio & Melitz, Marc J, 2004. "International Trade and Macroeconomic Dynamics with Heteroegenous Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 4595, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ratto, Marco & Roeger, Werner & Veld, Jan in 't, 2009. "QUEST III: An estimated open-economy DSGE model of the euro area with fiscal and monetary policy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 222-233, January.
- Holden, Tom, 2011.
"Products, patents and productivity persistence: A DSGE model of endogenous growth,"
Dynare Working Papers
- Tom Holden, 2010. "Products, patents and productivity persistence: A DSGE model of endogenous growth," Economics Series Working Papers 512, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Scott Bradford & Alexandre Gohin, 2006. "Modeling Distribution Services and Assessing Their Welfare Effects in a General Equilibrium Framework," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 87-102, 02.
- Treadway, Arthur B., 1970. "Adjustment costs and variable inputs in the theory of the competitive firm," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 329-347, December.
- Silva, Ester G. & Teixeira, Aurora A.C., 2008.
"Surveying structural change: Seminal contributions and a bibliometric account,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 273-300, December.
- Ester Gomes da Silva & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2006. "Surveying structural change: seminal contributions and a bibliometric account," FEP Working Papers 232, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Alexandre Gohin & GianCarlo Moschini, 2006.
"Evaluating the Market and Welfare Impacts of Agricultural Policies in Developed Countries: Comparison of Partial and General Equilibrium Measures,"
Review of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 28(2), pages 195-211.
- Gohin, Alexandre & Moschini, GianCarlo, 2006. "Evaluating the Market and Welfare Impacts of Agricultural Policies in Developed Countries: Comparison of Partial and General Equilibrium Measures," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12727, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Alexandre GOHIN & Giancarlo MOSCHINI, . "Evaluating the Market and Welfare Impacts of Agricultural Policies in Developed Countries: Comparison of Partial and General Equilibrium Measures," EcoMod2004 330600059, EcoMod.
- Martin Banse & Hans van Meijl & Andrzej Tabeau & Geert Woltjer, 2008. "Will EU biofuel policies affect global agricultural markets?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 35(2), pages 117-141, June.
- Arndt, Channing, 1996. "An Introduction to Systematic Sensitivity Analysis via Gaussian Quadrature," GTAP Technical Papers 305, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Nelson, Gerald C. & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Palazzo, Amanda & Gray, Ian & Ingersoll, Christina & Robertson, Richard & Tokgoz, Simla & Zhu, Tingju & Sulser, Timothy B. & Ringler, Claudia & Msangi, Siwa & , 2010. "Food security, farming, and climate change to 2050: Scenarios, results, policy options," Research reports Gerald C. Nelson, et al., International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- David L. Ryan & Terence J. Wales, 1999. "Flexible And Semiflexible Consumer Demands With Quadratic Engel Curves," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 277-287, May.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Mathias Trabandt & Karl Walentin, 2010.
"DSGE models for monetary policy analysis,"
FRB Atlanta CQER Working Paper
2010-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Robert M'barek & Wolfgang Britz & Alison Burrell & Jacques Delincé, 2012. "An integrated Modelling Platform for Agro-economic Commodity and Policy Analysis (iMAP) - a look back and the way forward," JRC Working Papers JRC69667, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Huang, Jikun & Hu, Ruifa & van Meijl, Hans & van Tongeren, Frank, 2004. "Biotechnology boosts to crop productivity in China: trade and welfare implications," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 27-54, October.
- Pagan, A R & Shannon, J H, 1987. "How Reliable Are ORAN I Conclusions?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 63(180), pages 33-45, March.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Faccini, Renato & Millard, Stephen & Zanetti, Francesco, 2011. "Wage rigidities in an estimated DSGE model of the UK labour market," Bank of England working papers 408, Bank of England.
- Hans van Meijl & Frank van Tongeren, 1999. "Endogenous International Technology Spillovers and Biased Technical Change in Agriculture," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 31-48.
- Dixon, Peter B. & Pearson, K.R. & Picton, Mark R. & Rimmer, Maureen T., 2005. "Rational expectations for large CGE models: A practical algorithm and a policy application," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 1001-1019, December.
- Malakellis, Michael, 1998. "Should Tariff Reductions Be Announced? An Intertemporal Computable General Equilibrium Analysis," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 74(225), pages 121-38, June.
- Gohin, Alexandre, 2005. "The specification of price and income elasticities in computable general equilibrium models: An application of latent separability," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 905-925, September.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2003.
"An Estimated Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Model of the Euro Area,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1123-1175, 09.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2002. "An estimated dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model of the euro area," Working Paper Research 35, National Bank of Belgium.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipt:iptwpa:jrc84850. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Institute Publication Officer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.