Evaluating the Market and Welfare Impacts of Agricultural Policies in Developed Countries: Comparison of Partial and General Equilibrium Measures
We revisit the question of choosing partial equilibrium or general equilibrium modeling in applied policy analysis in the context of evaluating the effects of a complete phase-out of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) of the European Union. We compare the results of three modelsï¾—two three-sector general equilibrium models (one with an additional major distortion in the nonagricultural sector) and a two-sector partial equilibrium model. We find that the market effects of a complete phase-out of the CAP are quite comparable across these models. On the other hand, the measured welfare impacts may depend on the modeling choice.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2006|
|Publication status:||Published in Review of Agricultural Economics, Summer 2006, vol. 28 no. 2, pp. 195-211|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bautista, Romeo M. & Robinson, Sherman & Tarp, Finn & Wobst, Peter, 1998.
"Policy bias and agriculture: partial and general equilibrium measures,"
TMD discussion papers
25, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bautista, Romeo M. & Robinson, Sherman & Tarp, Finn & Wobst, Peter, 2001. "Policy Bias and Agriculture: Partial and General Equilibrium Measures," MPRA Paper 29473, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1981. "Exact Consumer's Surplus and Deadweight Loss," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 662-76, September.
- Hanemann, Michael & Morey, Edward, 1992. "Separability, partial demand systems, and consumer's surplus measures," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 241-258, May.
- Westhoff, Patrick C. & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Beghin, John C. & Meyers, William H., 2004.
"Challenges in Modeling the Effects of Trade Agreements on the Agricultural Sector,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
11673, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Westhoff, Patrick C. & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Beghin, John C. & Meyers, William H., 2004. "Challenges in Modeling the Effects of Trade Agreements on the Agricultural Sector," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(02), August.
- Westhoff, Patrick & Fabiosa, Jacinto & Beghin, John & Meyers, William, 2004. "Challenges in Modeling the Effects of Trade Agreements on the Agricultural Sector," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(02), pages 383-393, August.
- Patrick C. Westhoff & Jacinto F. Fabiosa & John C. Beghin & William H. Meyers, 2004. "Challenges in Modeling the Effects of Trade Agreements on the Agricultural Sector," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 04-wp358, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Patrick C. Westhoff & Jacinto F. Fabiosa & John C. Beghin & William H. Meyers, 2004. "Challenges in Modeling the Effects of Trade Agreements on the Agricultural Sector," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 04-wp358, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Harrison, Glenn W & Rutherford, Thomas F & Tarr, David G, 1997. "Quantifying the Uruguay Round," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(444), pages 1405-30, September.
- Blackorby, Charles, 1999. " Partial-Equilibrium Welfare Analysis," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 1(3), pages 359-374.
- Gylfason, T, 1995. "The Macroeconomics of European Agriculture," Princeton Studies in International Economics 78, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Roberton C. Williams III, 2003. "The Substantial Bias from Ignoring General Equilibrium Effects in Estimating Excess Burden, and a Practical Solution," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(4), pages 898-927, August.
- van Tongeren, Frank & van Meijl, Hans & Surry, Yves, 2001.
"Global models applied to agricultural and trade policies: a review and assessment,"
Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 149-172, November.
- Tongeren, Frank van & Meijl, Hans van & Surry, Yves, 2001. "Global models applied to agricultural and trade policies: a review and assessment," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 26(2), November.
- Gohin, Alexandre, 2005. "The specification of price and income elasticities in computable general equilibrium models: An application of latent separability," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 905-925, September.
- Romeo M. Bautista & Sherman Robinson & Finn Tarp & Peter Wobst, 2001. "Policy Bias and Agriculture: Partial and General Equilibrium Measures," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 89-104, 02.
- Hertel, Thomas, 1997. "Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and applications," GTAP Books, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University, number 7685, November.
- Chambers, Robert G., 1995. "The incidence of agricultural policies," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 317-335, June.
- Sharma, Ramesh & Konandreas, Panos & Greenfield, Jim, 1996. "An overview of assessments of the impact of the Uruguay Round on agricultural prices and incomes," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 351-363.
- Mercenier, Jean, 1995. "Can "1992" reduce unemployment in Europe? On welfare and employment effects of Europe's move to a single market," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-37, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:12727. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.