Improving access to finance: which schemes best support the emergence of high-growth innovative enterprises? A mapping, analysis and assessment of finance instruments in selected EU Member States
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Naveen Khanna & Richmond D. Mathews, 2011. "Can herding improve investment decisions?," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 42(1), pages 150-174, March.
- Hölzl, Werner & Janger, Jürgen, 2013. "Does the analysis of innovation barriers perceived by high growth firms provide information on innovation policy priorities?," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 80(8), pages 1450-1468.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Hölzl, Werner & Janger, Jürgen, 2014. "Distance to the frontier and the perception of innovation barriers across European countries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 707-725.
- Da Rin, Marco & Nicodano, Giovanna & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2006.
"Public policy and the creation of active venture capital markets,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(8-9), pages 1699-1723, September.
- Marco Da Rin & Giovanna Nicodano & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2004. "Public Policy and the Creation of Active Venture Capital Markets," Working Papers 270, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Da Rin, Marco & Nicodano, Giovanna & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2005. "Public policy and the creation of active venture capital markets," Working Paper Series 430, European Central Bank.
- Da Rin, M. & Nicodano, G. & Sembenelli, A., 2006. "Public policy and the creation of active venture capital markets," Other publications TiSEM 94370b9a-a6ac-444d-85a2-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Magnus Henrekson & Dan Johansson, 2010.
"Gazelles as job creators: a survey and interpretation of the evidence,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 227-244, September.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Johansson, Dan, 2008. "Gazelles as Job Creators – A Survey and Interpretation of the Evidence," Working Paper Series 733, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Johansson, Dan, 2008. "Gazelles as Job Creators – A Survey and Interpretation of the Evidence," Ratio Working Papers 117, The Ratio Institute.
- Alicia Mas-Tur & Domingo Ribeiro Soriano, 2014. "The level of innovation among young innovative companies: the impacts of knowledge-intensive services use, firm characteristics and the entrepreneur attributes," Service Business, Springer;Pan-Pacific Business Association, vol. 8(1), pages 51-63, March.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton, 2006.
"International Financial Integration and Entrepreneurship,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0755, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Alfaro, Laura & Charlton, Andrew, 2006. "International financial integration and entrepreneurship," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19796, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Anna J. Wieczorek & Marko P. Hekkert, 2012. "Corrigendum to 'Systemic instruments for systemic innovation problems: A framework for policy makers and innovation scholars'," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(6), pages 842-842, December.
- Paul Nightingale & Alex Coad, 2014.
"Muppets and gazelles: political and methodological biases in entrepreneurship research,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 23(1), pages 113-143, February.
- Paul Nightingale & Alex Coad, 2013. "Muppets and Gazelles: Political and Methodological Biases in Entrepreneurship Research," SPRU Working Paper Series 2013-03, SPRU - Science Policy Research Unit, University of Sussex Business School.
- Vincent Van Roy & Daniel Nepelski, 2016. "Assessment of Framework Conditions for the Creation and Growth of Firms in Europe," JRC Working Papers JRC103350, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- repec:bla:joares:v:36:y:1998:i::p:161-191 is not listed on IDEAS
- Abdullah Gök & Jakob Edler, 2012. "The use of behavioural additionality evaluation in innovation policy making," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(4), pages 306-318, September.
- Philippe Aghion & Thibault Fally & Stefano Scarpetta, 2007.
"Credit constraints as a barrier to the entry and post-entry growth of firms,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 22, pages 731-779, October.
- Scarpetta, Stefano & Fally, Thibault & Aghion, Philippe, 2007. "Credit Constraints as a Barrier to the Entry and Post-Entry Growth of Firms," Scholarly Articles 4554208, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Thibault Fally & Stefano Scarpetta, 2007. "Credit constraints as a barrier to the entry and post-entry growth of firms," Post-Print hal-00813557, HAL.
- Aghion, Philippe & Fally, Thibault & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2007. "Credit Constraints as a Barrier to the Entry and Post-Entry Growth of Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 3237, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cassar, Gavin, 2004. "The financing of business start-ups," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 261-283, March.
- Samuel Kortum & Josh Lerner, 2000. "Assessing the Contribution of Venture Capital to Innovation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(4), pages 674-692, Winter.
- Bergek, Anna & Jacobsson, Staffan & Carlsson, Bo & Lindmark, Sven & Rickne, Annika, 2008. "Analyzing the functional dynamics of technological innovation systems: A scheme of analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 407-429, April.
- J. Edler & L. Georghiou & K. Blind & E. Uyarra, 2012. "Evaluating the demand side: New challenges for evaluation," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(1), pages 33-47, February.
- Bleda, Mercedes & del Río, Pablo, 2013. "The market failure and the systemic failure rationales in technological innovation systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(5), pages 1039-1052.
- Colin Mason & Yannis Pierrakis, 2013. "Venture Capital, the Regions and Public Policy: The United Kingdom since the Post-2000 Technology Crash," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(7), pages 1156-1171, July.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli, 2006. "Small and medium-size enterprises: Access to finance as a growth constraint," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 2931-2943, November.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Alex Coad & Sven-Olov Daunfeldt & Werner Hölzl & Dan Johansson & Paul Nightingale, 2014. "High-growth firms: introduction to the special section," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(1), pages 91-112, February.
- Jakob Edler & Bernd Ebersberger & Vivien Lo, 2008. "Improving policy understanding by means of secondary analyses of policy evaluation," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(3), pages 175-186, September.
- Pierfederico Asdrubali & Simone Signore, 2015.
"The Economic Impact of EU Guarantees on Credit to SMEs Evidence from CESEE Countries,"
European Economy - Discussion Papers 2015 -
002, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Asdrubali, Pierfederico & Signore, Simone, 2015. "The Economic Impact of EU Guarantees on Credit to SMEs – Evidence from CESEE Countries," EIF Working Paper Series 2015/29, European Investment Fund (EIF).
- Brown, Ross & Lee, Neil, 2014. "Funding issues confronting high growth SMEs in the UK," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 57264, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Autio, Erkko & Rannikko, Heikki, 2016. "Retaining winners: Can policy boost high-growth entrepreneurship?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 42-55.
- Guy Ben-Ari & Nicholas S Vonortas, 2007. "Risk financing for knowledge-based enterprises: Mechanisms and policy options," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(7), pages 475-488, August.
- Masako Ueda, 2004. "Banks versus Venture Capital: Project Evaluation, Screening, and Expropriation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 601-621, April.
- Baldwin, John R. & Gaudreault, Valerie & Gellatly, Guy, 2002. "Financing Innovation in New Small Firms: New Evidence from Canada," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2002190e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Paul Gompers & Josh Lerner, 2001. "The Venture Capital Revolution," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 145-168, Spring.
- Anna J. Wieczorek & Marko P. Hekkert, 2012. "Systemic instruments for systemic innovation problems: A framework for policy makers and innovation scholars," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(1), pages 74-87, February.
- Daria Ciriaci & Pietro Moncada-Paternò-Castello & Peter Voigt, 2014. "Does Size Of Innovative Firms Affect Their Growth Persistence?," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 57(3), pages 317-346.
- Oecd, 2006. "The SME Financing Gap: Theory and Evidence," Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2006(2), pages 89-97.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gabriel Rissola & Fernando HervÃ¡s & Milena Slavcheva & Koen Jonkers, 2017. "Place-Based Innovation Ecosystems: Espoo Innovation Garden and Aalto University (Finland)," JRC Working Papers JRC106122, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Daniel Nepelski & Marc Bogdanowicz & Federico Biagi & Paul Desruelle & Giuditta De Prato & Garry Gabison & Giuseppe Piroli & Annarosa Pesole & Nikolaus Thumm & Vincent Van Roy, 2017. "7 ways to boost digital innovation and entrepreneurship in Europe. Key messages from the European innovation policies for the digital shift project," JRC Working Papers JRC104899, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
More about this item
KeywordsSME; access to finance; financial instruments; policy evaluation; Germany; Poland; United Kingdom; Lithuania; Finland; venture capital; fund-of-funds; guarantee schemes;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2016-11-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2016-11-20 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2016-11-20 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-PPM-2016-11-20 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-SBM-2016-11-20 (Small Business Management)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipt:iptwpa:jrc102928. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publication Officer). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ipjrces.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.