Bolsa Família, its Design, its Impacts and Possibilities for the Future
Conditional Cash Transfer (CCT) programmes, including the Bolsa Família programme, have been extensively studied over recent years. The books, working papers and articles that have been written on the subject, if placed on top of each other, would pile up very high indeed. What excuse do I have for spending my time writing this one and asking you to spend yours reading it? My excuse is twofold. The first excuse is that, in spite of the aforementioned pile of studies, much about the programme is still not common knowledge. In the different forums in which I have been I have seen that many elementary facts about Bolsa Família are still relatively unknown to audiences beyond (some) Brazilian policymakers and government officials. How did the programme come about? What exactly was the Lula government?s role in its creation? What impact has it had on poverty, inequality, education, health and labour supply? Did it have any significant political effects? What are its contradictions and possibilities for the future? My objective is to give brief and, if possible, conclusive answers to all these questions in a single text. (?)
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by UNDP - International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth , February 2012, pages 1-37|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ipc-undp.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedro H. G. F. de Souza & Rafael G. Osorio & Sergei S. O. Soares, 2011. "Uma Metodologia Para Simular o Programa Bolsa Família," Discussion Papers 1654, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Priscilla de Albuquerque Tavares, 2008.
"O Efeito do Programa Bolsa Família sobre a Oferta de Trabalho das Mães,"
Anais do XXXVI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 36th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
200807211028050, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Tavares, Priscilla Albuquerque, 2010. "Efeito do Programa Bolsa Família sobre a oferta de trabalho das mães," Revista Economia e Sociedade, Instituto de Economia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP), vol. 41, pages 23, December.
- Priscilla Albuquerque Tavares, 2008. "Efeito Do Programa Bolsa Família Sobre A Oferta De Trabalho Das Maes," Anais do XIII Seminário sobre a Economia Mineira [Proceedings of the 13th Seminar on the Economy of Minas Gerais], in: Anais do XIII Seminário sobre a Economia Mineira [Proceedings of the 13th Seminar on the Economy of Minas Gerais] Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Sergei Suarez Dillon Soares & Rafael Perez Ribas & Fabio Veras Soares, 2010. "Targeting and Coverage of the Bolsa Família Programme: Why Knowing What You Measure Is Important In Choosing the Numbers," Working Papers 71, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Sergei Soares & Rafael Guerreiro Osório & Fábio Veras Soares & Marcelo Medeiros & Eduardo Zepeda, 2009.
"Conditional cash transfers in Brazil, Chile and Mexico: impacts upon inequality,"
El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 0(Special i), pages 207-224.
- Sergei Suarez Dillon Soares & Rafael Guerreiro Osório & Fabio Veras Soares & Marcelo Medeiros & Eduardo Zepeda, 2007. "Conditional Cash Transfers in Brazil, Chile and Mexico: Impacts upon Inequality," Working Papers 35, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Miguel Nathan Foguel & Ricardo Paes de Barros, 2008. "The Effects of Conditional Cash Transfer Programmes on Adult Labour Supply: An Empirical Analysis Using a Time-Series-Cross-Section," Anais do XXXVI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 36th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 200807211655420, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Fabio Veras Soares & Sergei Soares & Marcelo Medeiros & Rafael G. Osório, 2006.
"Programas De Transferências De Renda No Brasil: Impactos Sobre A Desigualdade,"
Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
156, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Fabio Veras Soares & Sergei Soares & Marcelo Medeiros & Rafael Guerreiro Osório, 2006. "Programas de Transferência de Renda no Brasil: impactos sobre a desigualdade," Discussion Papers 1228, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Rafael Guerreiro Osorio, 2011. "Erradicar a Pobreza Extrema: Um objetivo ao Alcance no Brasil," Discussion Papers 1619, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Marcelo Medeiros & Tatiana Britto & Fabio Veras Soares, 2008. "Targeted Cash Transfer Programmes in Brazil: BPC and the Bolsa Familia," Working Papers 46, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Claudio Djissey Shikida & Leonardo Monteiro Monasterio & Ari Francisco de Araujo Jr. & Andre Carraro & Otávio Menezes Damé, 2009. ""It is the economy, companheiro!": an empirical analysis of Lula's re-election based on municipal data," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 976-991.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipc:wpaper:89. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andre Lyra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.