O Efeito do Programa Bolsa Família sobre a Oferta de Trabalho das Mães
The impact of the Bolsa Família Program on the labor supply of working mothers - This paper investigates the existence of a possible adverse incentive on the labor supply and weekly working hours of beneficiary mothers of the Bolsa Família Program. Three control groups are analyzed using propensity-score matching to compare non-beneficiary mothers to beneficiary mothers. The results show that there is a wealth effect related to the value of the benefits, given that the larger the benefit, the less active beneficiary mothers are in the labor market. Nonetheless, the net effect is positive, showing that there is a substitution effect due to a reduction in the children´s labor supply, a rise in the mother's available time, as well as decreasing the stigma.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Prof Marcos Valdemar de Freitas Reis s/n Campus do Gragoatá Bloco F Niterói, RJ 24210-201 Brazil|
Phone: 55 21 3674 7952
Web page: http://www.anpec.org.br
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Anne Caroline Costa Resende & Ana Maria Hermeto Camilo de Oliveira, 2006. "Avaliando Resultados De Um Programa De Transferências De Renda: O Impacto Do Bolsa-Escola Sobre Os Gastos Das Famílias Brasileiras," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 155, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Eliana Cardoso & Andre Portela Souza, 2004. "The Impact of Cash Transfers on Child Labor and School Attendance in Brazil," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0407, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Marcelo Medeiros & Tatiana Britto & Fábio Soares, 2007. "Programas Focalizados de Transferência de Renda no Brasil: Contribuições para o Debate," Discussion Papers 1283, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Bourguignon, Francois & Ferreira, Francisco H. G. & Leite, Phillippe G., 2002.
"Ex-ante evaluation of conditional cash transfer programs: the case of bolsa escola,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2916, The World Bank.
- Fran??ois Bourguignon & Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Phillippe G. Leite, 2002. "Ex-ante Evaluation of Conditional Cash Transfer Programs: The Case of Bolsa Escola," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 516, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Elaine Toldo Pazello & Reynaldo Fernandes, 2004. "A Maternidade E A Mulher No Mercado De Trabalho: Diferença De Comportamento Entre Mulheres Que Têm E Mulheres Que Não Têm Filhos," Anais do XXXII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 32th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 151, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anp:en2008:200807211028050. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rodrigo Zadra Armond)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.