Structural Breaks in Inflation Dynamics within the European Monetary Union
To assess the effects of the EMU on inflation rate dynamics of its member states, the inflation rate series for 21 European countries are investigated for structural changes. To capture changes in mean, variance, and skewness of inflation rates, a generalized logistic model is adopted and complemented with structural break tests and breakpoint estimation techniques. These reveal considerable differences in the patterns of inflation dynamics and the structural changes therein. Overall, there is a convergence towards a lower mean inflation rate with reduced skewness, but it is accompanied by an increase in variance.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitätsstraße 15, A - 6020 Innsbruck|
Web page: http://www.uibk.ac.at/fakultaeten/volkswirtschaft_und_statistik/index.html.en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Kontonikas, Alexandros, 2009.
"The Euro and inflation uncertainty in the European Monetary Union,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 954-971, October.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alexandros Kontonikas, 2006. "The Euro and Inflation Uncertainty in the European Monetary Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 1842, CESifo Group Munich.
- Guglielmo Maria, Caporale & Alexandros , Kontonikas, 2007. "The Euro and Inflation Uncertainty in the European Monetary Union," CELPE Discussion Papers 101, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alexandros Kontonikas, 2006. "The Euro And Inflation Uncertainty In The European Monetary Union," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 06-01, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Zeileis, Achim & Leisch, Friedrich & Hornik, Kurt & Kleiber, Christian, 2002. "strucchange: An R Package for Testing for Structural Change in Linear Regression Models," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 7(i02).
- Zeileis, Achim & Leisch, Friedrich & Hornik, Kurt & Kleiber, Christian, 2001. "Strucchange: An R package for testing for structural change in linear regression models," Technical Reports 2001,26, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Achim Zeileis & Kurt Hornik, 2007. "Generalized M-fluctuation tests for parameter instability," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 61(4), pages 488-508.
- Achim Zeileis, 2005. "A Unified Approach to Structural Change Tests Based on ML Scores, F Statistics, and OLS Residuals," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(4), pages 445-466.
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2002. "Detecting multiple breaks in financial market volatility dynamics," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 579-600.
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2001. "Detecting Multiple Breaks in Financial Market Volatility Dynamics," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 0202, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2001. "Detecting Mutiple Breaks in Financial Market Volatility Dynamics," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-65, CIRANO.
- Giulio Palomba & Emma Sarno & Alberto Zazzaro, 2009. "Testing similarities of short-run inflation dynamics among EU-25 countries after the Euro," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 231-270, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inn:wpaper:2011-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janette Walde)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.