Inequality, neighborhoods and variation in prices
In this study we examine the link between of income distribution and wholesale price of wheat using panel data. We have weekly time series data on prices for wheat for 3 districts in Uttar-Pradesh in India obtained from the Department of Economics and Statistics of the Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India (DES-MOA, GOI) for the period 2006-2011. Gini coefficient is calculated on the basis of consumption expenditure collected by National Sample Survey Organisation of India. We find that there is inverted-U shape relation between inequality and level of price for wheat: if we compare a cross-section of societies over the period of time, then price of food grain initially increases with increase in inequality but after a point it starts declining.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gen. A. K. Vaidya Marg, Goregaon (E), Mumbai 400065|
Phone: (022) 840 0919/20/21
Fax: (022) 840 2752/2026
Web page: http://www.igidr.ac.in
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aaron Nicholas & Ranjan Ray & Ma. Rebecca Valenzuela, 2010.
"Evaluating the Distributional Implications of Price Movements: Methodology, Application and Australian Evidence,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 86(274), pages 352-366, 09.
- Aaron Nicholas & Ranjan Ray & Rebecca Valenzuela, 2008. "Evaluating The Distributional Implications Of Price Movements: Methodology, Application And Australian Evidence," Monash Economics Working Papers 33/08, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Andreas Bergh & Therese Nilsson, 2014. "When More Poor Means Less Poverty: On Income Inequality and Purchasing Power," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 232-246, July.
- Bergh, Andreas & Nilsson, Therese, 2012. "When More Poor Means Less Poverty: On Income Inequality and Purchasing Power," Working Papers 2012:2, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Bergh, Andreas & Nilsson, Therese, 2012. "When More Poor Means Less Poverty: On Income Inequality and Purchasing Power," Working Paper Series 900, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Muellbauer, John, 1974. "Household composition, Engel curves and welfare comparisons between households : A duality approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 103-122, August.
- Marie Daumal, 2013. "The Impact of Trade Openness on Regional Inequality: The Cases of India and Brazil," The International Trade Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(3), pages 243-280, August.
- Marie Daumal, 2010. "The impact of trade openness on regional inequality : the cases of India and Brazil," Working Papers DT/2010/04, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Manisha Chakrabarty & Amita Majumder & Ranjan Ray, 2015. "Preferences, Spatial Prices and Inequality," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(11), pages 1488-1501, November.
- Manisha Chakrabarty & Amita Majumder & Ranjan Ray, 2012. "Preferences, Spatial Prices and Inequality," Monash Economics Working Papers 52-12, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Frankel, David M. & Gould, Eric D., 2001. "The Retail Price of Inequality," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 219-239, March.
- Frankel, D.M., 1996. "The (Retail) Price of Inequality," Papers 23-96, Tel Aviv.
- Frankel, David M. & Gould, Eric, 2001. "The Retail Price of Inequality," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11922, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David M. Frankel, 2000. "The Retail Price of Inequality," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0577, Econometric Society.
- Durgesh Chandra Pathak, 2010. "Poverty and Inequality in Uttar Pradesh during 1993-94 to 2004-05 A Decomposition Analysis," Development Economics Working Papers 23022, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Durgesh Chandra Pathak, 2010. "Poverty and inequality in Uttar Pradesh during 1993-94 to 2004-05: A Decomposition analysis," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2010-014, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Ankita Mishra & Ranjan Ray, 2011. "Prices, Inequality, And Poverty: Methodology And Indian Evidence," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(3), pages 428-448, 09.
- Ankita Mishra & Ranjan Ray, 2009. "Prices, Inequality and Poverty: Methodology and Indian Evidence," Monash Economics Working Papers 27-09, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Majumder, Amita & Ray, Ranjan & Sinha, Kompal, 2015. "Spatial Comparisons Of Prices And Expenditure In A Heterogeneous Country: Methodology With Application To India," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(05), pages 931-989, July.
- Amita Majumder & Ranjan Ray & Kompal Sinha, 2012. "Spatial Comparisons of Prices and Expenditure in a Heterogeneous Country: Methodology with Application to India," Monash Economics Working Papers 19-12, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Sperling, Lena Lindbjerg & Kjøller-Hansen, Anders Oskar, 2012. "Accounting for the effect of health on cross-state income inequality in India," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 252-255.
- Pendakur, Krishna, 2002. "Taking prices seriously in the measurement of inequality," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 47-69, October.
- Pendakur, K., 1999. "Taking Prices Seriously in the Measurement of Inequality," Discussion Papers dp99-7, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Rasika P. Chikte, 2011. "Income Convergence and Regional Growth in India," South Asia Economic Journal, Institute of Policy Studies of Sri Lanka, vol. 12(2), pages 239-269, September.
- Mehtabul Azam & Abusaleh Shariff, 2011. "Income Inequality in Rural India: Decomposing the Gini by Income Sources," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 739-748. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ind:igiwpp:2014-001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.