Ukraine's Choice: European Association Agreement or Eurasian Union?
Ukraine's intention to sign the European Association Agreement at the Vilnius summit in late November 2013 has raised a furor in the Kremlin, which wants it to join the Customs Union instead. In retaliation, Russia has imposed trade sanctions against Ukraine in clear violation of its obligations in the World Trade Organization (WTO). Åslund argues that Europe, Ukraine, and Russia all share the blame for creating the current impasse and must alter their policies to resolve the conflict. Ukraine should improve its macroeconomic policies to reduce its vulnerability and also comply with all EU demands, including releasing Yulia Tymoshenko. The European Union should support Ukraine but also make sure that Ukraine meets its conditions so that both parties can sign the agreement in November. The Association Agreement will bring substantial gains to Ukraine, whereas the Customs Union is smaller, less competitive, and does not offer Ukraine any significant benefits. Russia should realize that it is not in its national interest to force countries to join its Customs Union. It should obey the rules of the WTO and the Commonwealth of Independent States Free Trade Agreement and end its trade sanctions against Ukraine. The United States and the European Union should defend Ukraine against Russian economic aggression in the WTO and through vocal and economic support.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1750 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20036-1903|
Web page: http://www.piie.com
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marek Dabrowski & Svitlana Taran, 2012. "Is Free Trade with the EU Good for Ukraine?," CASE Network E-briefs 06, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Marek Dabrowski & Svitlana Taran, 2012. "The Free Trade Agreement between the EU and Ukraine: Conceptual Background, Economic Context and Potential Impact," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 437, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Francisco G. Carneiro, 2013.
"What Promises Does the Eurasian Customs Union Hold for the Future?,"
World Bank Other Operational Studies
17034, The World Bank.
- Carneiro, Fracisco, 2013. "What Promises Does the Eurasian Customs Union Hold for the Future?," World Bank - Economic Premise, The World Bank, issue 108, pages 1-5, February.
- von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan & Hess, Sebastian & Brummer, Bernhard, 2010. "A preliminary analysis of the impact of a Ukraine-EU free trade agreement on agriculture," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5264, The World Bank.
- Maryla Maliszewska & Irina Orlova & Svitlana Taran, 2009. "Deep Integration with the EU and its Likely Impact on Selected ENP Countries and Russia," CASE Network Reports 0088, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Shepotylo, Oleksandr, 2010. "A Gravity Model of Net Benefits of EU Membership : The Case of Ukraine," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 25, pages 676-702.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iie:pbrief:pb13-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peterson Institute webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.