Spatial System Estimators for Panel Models: A Sensitivity and Simulation Study
System of panel models are popular models in applied sciences and the question of spatial errors has created the recent demand for spatial system estimation of panel models. Therefore we propose new diagnostic methods to explore if the spatial component will change significantly the outcome of non-spatial estimates of seemingly unrelated regression (SUR) systems. We apply a local sensitivity approach to study the behavior of generalized least squares (GLS) estimators in two spatial autoregression SUR system models: a SAR model with SUR errors (SAR-SUR) and a SUR model with spatial errors (SUR-SEM). Using matrix derivative calculus we establish a sensitivity matrix for spatial panel models and we show how a first order Taylor approximation of the GLS estimators can be used to approximate the GLS estimators in spatial SUR models. In a simulation study we demonstrate the good quality of our approximation results.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://www.ihs.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A.H. Siegmann, 2003.
"Optimal Investment Policies for Defined Benefit Pension Funds,"
WO Research Memoranda (discontinued)
728, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Siegmann, Arjen, 2007. "Optimal investment policies for defined benefit pension funds," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 1-20, March.
- Arjen Siegmann, 2003. "Optimal Investment Policies for Defined Benefit Pension Funds," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 112, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Berkelaar, A.B. & Kouwenberg, R.R.P., 2000.
"From boom til bust: how loss aversion affects asset prices,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2000-21/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Berkelaar, Arjan & Kouwenberg, Roy, 2009. "From boom 'til bust: How loss aversion affects asset prices," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1005-1013, June.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1997. "Estimation of Spatial Regression Models with Autoregressive Errors by Two Stage Least Squares Procedures: A Serious Problem," Electronic Working Papers 97-001, University of Maryland, Department of Economics.
- Hlouskova, Jaroslava & Tsigaris, Panagiotis, 2012.
"Capital Income Taxation and Risk Taking under Prospect Theory,"
283, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Jaroslava Hlouskova & Panagiotis Tsigaris, 2012. "Capital income taxation and risk taking under prospect theory," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 554-573, August.
- De Giorgi, Enrico & Hens, Thorsten, 2005.
"Making Prospect Theory Fit for Finance,"
2005/19, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "HAC estimation in a spatial framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 131-154, September.
- Fortin, Ines & Hlouskova, Jaroslava, 2011.
"Optimal asset allocation under linear loss aversion,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 2974-2990, November.
- Fortin, Ines & Hlouskova, Jaroslava, 2010. "Optimal Asset Allocation Under Linear Loss Aversion," Economics Series 257, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- L. Epstein & S. Zin, 2010.
"First order risk aversion and the equity premium puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1400, David K. Levine.
- Epstein, Larry G. & Zin, Stanley E., 1990. "'First-order' risk aversion and the equity premium puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 387-407, December.
- repec:umd:umdeco:kelepruc is not listed on IDEAS
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- repec:wop:ubisop:0081 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lung-Fei Lee, 2004. "Asymptotic Distributions of Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimators for Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1899-1925, November.
- Kakamu, Kazuhiko & Polasek, Wolfgang & Wago, Hajime, 2008. "Spatial interaction of crime incidents in Japan," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 276-282.
- Jan R. Magnus & Andrey L. Vasnev, 2007.
"Local sensitivity and diagnostic tests,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 10(1), pages 166-192, 03.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. " Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Liu, Shuangzhe & Neudecker, Heinz, 2009. "On pseudo maximum likelihood estimation for multivariate time series models with conditional heteroskedasticity," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 79(8), pages 2556-2565.
- André Lucas & Arjen Siegmann, 2008. "The Effect of Shortfall as a Risk Measure for Portfolios with Hedge Funds," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(1-2), pages 200-226.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1998. "A Generalized Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Procedure for Estimating a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 99-121, July.
- Hwang, Soosung & Satchell, Steve E., 2010. "How loss averse are investors in financial markets?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2425-2438, October.
- Lung-fei Lee, 2003. "Best Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Estimators for a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 307-335.
- Nicholas Barberis & Ming Huang, 2001. "Mental Accounting, Loss Aversion, and Individual Stock Returns," NBER Working Papers 8190, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liu, Shuangzhe & Polasek, Wolfgang & Sellner, Richard, 2011. "Sensitivity Analysis of SAR Estimators," Economics Series 262, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Francisco J. Gomes, 2005. "Portfolio Choice and Trading Volume with Loss-Averse Investors," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 675-706, March.
- Luc Anselin, 2010. "Thirty years of spatial econometrics," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(1), pages 3-25, 03.
- Neudecker, Heinz & Polasek, Wolfgang & Liu, Shuangzhe, 1995. "The heteroskedastic linear regression model and the Hadamard product a note," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 361-366, August.
- Nicholas Barberis, 2001. "Mental Accounting, Loss Aversion, and Individual Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(4), pages 1247-1292, 08.
- Lee, Lung-fei & Yu, Jihai, 2010. "Some recent developments in spatial panel data models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 255-271, September.
- Xue Dong He & Xun Yu Zhou, 2011. "Portfolio Choice Under Cumulative Prospect Theory: An Analytical Treatment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(2), pages 315-331, February.
- Ulrich Schmidt & Chris Starmer & Robert Sugden, 2008.
"Third-generation prospect theory,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 203-223, June.
- Schmidt, Ulrich & Starmer, Chris & Sugden, Robert, 2008. "Third-generation prospect theory," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 28932, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- James Paul Lesage & Wolfgang Polasek, 2008.
"Incorporating Transportation Network Structure in Spatial Econometric Models of Commodity Flows,"
Spatial Economic Analysis,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 225-245.
- LeSage, James P. & Polasek, Wolfgang, 2006. "Incorporating Transportation Network Structure in Spatial Econometric Models of Commodity Flows," Economics Series 188, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Kapoor, Mudit & Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "Panel data models with spatially correlated error components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 97-130, September.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- G�ran Therborn & K.C. Ho, 2009. "Introduction," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 53-62, March.
- Kazuhiko Kakamu & Wolfgang Polasek & Hajime Wago, 2012. "Production technology and agglomeration for Japanese prefectures during 1991–2000," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(1), pages 29-41, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ihs:ihsesp:294. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.