Optimal Asset Allocation under Quadratic Loss Aversion
We study the asset allocation of a quadratic loss-averse (QLA) investor and derive conditions under which the QLA problem is equivalent to the mean-variance (MV) and conditional value-at-risk (CVaR) problems. Then we solve analytically the two-asset problem of the QLA investor for a risk-free and a risky asset. We find that the optimal QLA investment in the risky asset is finite, strictly positive and is minimal with respect to the reference point for a value strictly larger than the risk-free rate. Finally, we implement the trading strategy of a QLA investor who reallocates her portfolio on a monthly basis using 13 EU and US assets. We find that QLA portfolios (mostly) outperform MV and CVaR portfolios and that incorporating a conservative dynamic update of the QLA parameters improves the performance of QLA portfolios. Compared with linear loss-averse portfolios, QLA portfolios display significantly less risk but they also yield lower returns.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://www.ihs.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fortin, Ines & Hlouskova, Jaroslava, 2011.
"Optimal asset allocation under linear loss aversion,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 2974-2990, November.
- Fortin, Ines & Hlouskova, Jaroslava, 2010. "Optimal Asset Allocation Under Linear Loss Aversion," Economics Series 257, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Berkelaar, Arjan & Kouwenberg, Roy, 2009. "From boom 'til bust: How loss aversion affects asset prices," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1005-1013, June.
- Berkelaar, A.B. & Kouwenberg, R.R.P., 2000. "From boom til bust: how loss aversion affects asset prices," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2000-21/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Hwang, Soosung & Satchell, Steve E., 2010. "How loss averse are investors in financial markets?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2425-2438, October.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Xue Dong He & Xun Yu Zhou, 2011. "Portfolio Choice Under Cumulative Prospect Theory: An Analytical Treatment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(2), pages 315-331, February.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-291, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Epstein, Larry G. & Zin, Stanley E., 1990. "'First-order' risk aversion and the equity premium puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 387-407, December.
- L. Epstein & S. Zin, 2010. "First order risk aversion and the equity premium puzzle," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1400, David K. Levine.
- Ulrich Schmidt & Chris Starmer & Robert Sugden, 2008. "Third-generation prospect theory," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 203-223, June.
- Schmidt, Ulrich & Starmer, Chris & Sugden, Robert, 2008. "Third-generation prospect theory," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 28932, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Siegmann, Arjen, 2007. "Optimal investment policies for defined benefit pension funds," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 1-20, March.
- A.H. Siegmann, 2003. "Optimal Investment Policies for Defined Benefit Pension Funds," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 728, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Arjen Siegmann, 2003. "Optimal Investment Policies for Defined Benefit Pension Funds," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 112, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Jaroslava Hlouskova & Panagiotis Tsigaris, 2012. "Capital income taxation and risk taking under prospect theory," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 19(4), pages 554-573, August.
- Hlouskova, Jaroslava & Tsigaris, Panagiotis, 2012. "Capital Income Taxation and Risk Taking under Prospect Theory," Economics Series 283, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. "Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Arjen Siegmann & André Lucas, 2005. "Discrete-Time Financial Planning Models Under Loss-Averse Preferences," Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 53(3), pages 403-414, June.
- André Lucas & Arjen Siegmann, 2008. "The Effect of Shortfall as a Risk Measure for Portfolios with Hedge Funds," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(1-2), pages 200-226.
- Nicholas Barberis, 2001. "Mental Accounting, Loss Aversion, and Individual Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(4), pages 1247-1292, 08.
- Francisco J. Gomes, 2005. "Portfolio Choice and Trading Volume with Loss-Averse Investors," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 675-706, March.
- Nicholas Barberis & Ming Huang, 2001. "Mental Accounting, Loss Aversion, and Individual Stock Returns," NBER Working Papers 8190, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Enrico Giorgi & Thorsten Hens, 2006. "Making prospect theory fit for finance," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer;Swiss Society for Financial Market Research, vol. 20(3), pages 339-360, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ihs:ihsesp:291. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.