Functional Rational Expectations Equilibria in Market Games
The rational expectations equilibrium has been criticized as an equilibrium concept in market game environments. Such an equilibrium may not exist generically, or it may introduce unrealistic assumptions about an economic agent's knowledge or computational ability. We define a rational expectations equilibrium as a probability measure over uncertain states of nature which exploits all available information in a market game, and which exists for almost all economies. Furthermore, if retrading is allowed, it is possible for agents to compute such a 'functional rational expectations equilibrium' using straightforward numerical fixed point algorithms.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://www.ihs.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1993.
"Temporary general equilibrium theory,"
Handbook of Mathematical Economics,
in: K. J. Arrow & M.D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 4, volume 2, chapter 19, pages 879-922
- Sanford J Grossman & Joseph E Stiglitz, 1997.
"On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1908, David K. Levine.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1980. "On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Massimo Morelli & Sayantan Ghosal, 2001.
"Retrading in Market Games,"
01-09, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Martin Shubik & Nicolaas J. Vriend, 1999. "A Behavioral Approach to a Strategic Market Game," Research in Economics 99-01-003e, Santa Fe Institute.
- Dubey, Pradeep, 1980. "Nash equilibria of market games: Finiteness and inefficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 363-376, April.
- Kelly, David L. & Shorish, Jamsheed, 2000. "Stability of Functional Rational Expectations Equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 215-250, December.
- James Peck & Matthew O. Jackson, 1999.
"Asymmetric information in a competitive market game: Reexamining the implications of rational expectations,"
Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 603-628.
- Matthew O. Jackson & James Peck, 1997. "Asymmetric Information in a Competitive Market Game: Reexamining the Implications of Rational Expectations," Microeconomics 9711004, EconWPA.
- Dionysius Glycopantis & Allan Muir & Nicholas Yannelis, 2009. "On non-revealing rational expectations equilibrium," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 351-369, February.
- Martin Shubik & Pradeep Dubey & Siddhartha Sahi, 1989.
"Repeated Trade and the Velocity of Money,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
895, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos & Martin Shubik, 1982. "Revelation of Information in Strategic Market Games: A Critique of Rational Expectations," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 634R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Nov 1985.
- Dionysius Glycopantis & Allan Muir & Nicholas Yannelis, 2005. "Non-implementation of rational expectations as a perfect Bayesian equilibrium," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 765-791, November.
- Townsend, Robert M, 1983. "Forecasting the Forecasts of Others," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 546-88, August.
- Spear, Stephen E., 1988. "Existence and local uniqueness of functional rational expectations equilibria in dynamic economic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 124-155, February.
- Dubey, P. & Rogawski, J. D., 1990. "Inefficiency of smooth market mechanisms," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 285-304.
- Erik Balder & Nicholas Yannelis, 2009. "Bayesian–Walrasian equilibria: beyond the rational expectations equilibrium," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 385-397, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ihs:ihsesp:186. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.