Efficient Pricing of Large Value Interbank Payment Systems
This paper studies the efficient pricing of large-value payment systems in the presence of unobservable heterogeneity about banks' future payment volumes. It is shown that the optimal pricing scheme for a public monopoly system involves quantity discounts in the form of a decreasing marginal fee. This is also true when the public system competes with a provate system characterized by a lower marginal cost. However in this case, optimal marginal fees in the public system are lower than its marginal cost, and fixed fees have to be levied. We also study the case of competition between several public systems. The structure of the optimal tariff depends on the willigness of Central Banks to allow by-pass. JEL Classification: G28, E58, D42, D43
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, vol. 38, n°7, 2006, p. 1797-1818.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cornelia Holthausen & Thomas R¯nde, 2002.
"Regulating Access to International Large-Value Payment Systems,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(5), pages 1561-1586.
- Holthausen, Cornelia & Rønde, Thomas, 2000. "Regulating access to international large-value payment systems," Working Paper Series 0022, European Central Bank.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno, 1998.
"Contagion and Efficiency in Gross and Net Interbank Payment Systems,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 3-31, January.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno Parigi, 1998. "Contagion and efficiency in gross and net interbank payment systems," Proceedings 592, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno Parigi, 1996. "Contagion and efficiency in gross and net interbank payment systems," Economics Working Papers 176, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 1996.
- Gasmi, Farid & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Sharkey, William, 1999.
"Competition, Universal Service and Telecommunications Policy in Developing Countries,"
IDEI Working Papers
92, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Gasmi, F. & Laffont, J. J. & Sharkey, W. W., 2000. "Competition, universal service and telecommunications policy in developing countries," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 221-248, September.
- Hancock, Diana & Humphrey, David B. & Wilcox, James A., 1999. "Cost reductions in electronic payments: The roles of consolidation, economies of scale, and technical change," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 391-421, February.
- Furfine, Craig H & Stehm, Jeff, 1998. "Analyzing Alternative Intraday Credit Policies in Real-Time Gross Settlement Systems," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(4), pages 832-848, November.
- J. A. Mirrlees, 1971. "An Exploration in the Theory of Optimum Income Taxation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(2), pages 175-208.
- Bagnoli, M. & Bergstrom, T., 1989.
"Log-Concave Probability And Its Applications,"
89-23, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 2001. "Competition in Telecommunications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262621509, September.
- Berger, Allen N & Hancock, Diana & Marquardt, Jeffrey C, 1996.
"A Framework for Analyzing Efficiency, Risks, Costs, and Innovations in the Payments System,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 696-732, November.
- Allen N. Berger & Diana Hancock & Jeffrey C. Marquardt, 1996. "A framework for analyzing efficiency, risks, costs and innovations in the payments system," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 696-732.
- Wilson, Robert, 1997. "Nonlinear Pricing," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195115826.
- Charles M. Kahn & William Roberds, 1997.
"Payment system settlement and bank incentives,"
537, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Charles M. Kahn & William Roberds, 1996. "Payment system settlement and bank incentives," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 96-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Charles M. Kahn & William Roberds, "undated". "Payment System Settlement and Bank Incentives," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-32, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Philippe Chone, 1998. "Ironing, Sweeping, and Multidimensional Screening," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 783-826, July.
- David Vanhoose, 2000. "Central bank policy making in competing payment systems," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 28(2), pages 117-139, June.
- Angelini, P. & Giannini, C., 1993. "On the Economics of Interbank Payment Systems," Papers 193, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:593. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.