Partial Identification in Monotone Binary Models: Discrete Regressors and Interval Data
We investigate identification in semi-parametric binary regression models, y = 1(xβ+υ+ε > 0) when υ is either discrete or measured within intervals. The error term ε is assumed to be uncorrelated with a set of instruments z, ε is independent of υ conditionally on x and z, and the support of −(xβ + ε) is finite. We provide a sharp characterization of the set of observationally equivalent parameters β. When there are as many instruments z as variables x, the bounds of the identified intervals of the different scalar components βk of parameter β can be expressed as simple moments of the data. Also, in the case of interval data, we show that additional information on the distribution of υ within intervals shrinks the identified set. Specifically, the closer the conditional distribution of υ given z is to uniformity, the smaller is the identified set. Point identified is achieved if and only if υ is uniform within intervals.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:||Jan 2005|
|Publication status:||Published in The Review of Economic Studies, vol. 75, n°3, juillet 2008, p. 835-864.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M Arellano & Costas Megir & Mary Silles, 1990.
"Female Labour Supply and On-the-Job Search: An Empirical Model Estimated using Complementary Data Sets,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0009, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Manuel Arellano & Costas Meghir, 1992. "Female Labour Supply and On-the-Job Search: An Empirical Model Estimated Using Complementary Data Sets," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(3), pages 537-559.
- Arthur Lewbel, 1999.
"Semiparametric Qualitative Response Model Estimation with Unknown Heteroskedasticity or Instrumental Variables,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
454, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 2000. "Semiparametric qualitative response model estimation with unknown heteroscedasticity or instrumental variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 145-177, July.
- Leamer, Edward E, 1987.
"Errors in Variables in Linear Systems,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 893-909, July.
- Bo E. Honore & Arthur Lewbel, 2002.
"Semiparametric Binary Choice Panel Data Models Without Strictly Exogeneous Regressors,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 2053-2063, September.
- Bo E. Honore & Arthur Lewbel, 1998. "Semiparametric Binary Choice Panel Data Models without Strictly Exogeneous Regressors," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 455, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 22 Sep 2001.
- Donald Green & Karen Jacowitz & Daniel Kahneman & Daniel McFadden, 1995.
"Referendum Contingent Valuation, Anchoring, and Willingness to Pay for Public Goods,"
_010, University of California at Berkeley, Econometrics Laboratory Software Archive.
- Green, Donald & Jacowitz, Karen E. & Kahneman, Daniel & McFadden, Daniel, 1998. "Referendum contingent valuation, anchoring, and willingness to pay for public goods," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 85-116, June.
- Andrew Chesher, 2003.
"Nonparametric identification under discrete variation,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP19/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Andrew Chesher, 2005. "Nonparametric Identification under Discrete Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(5), pages 1525-1550, 09.
- Bierens, H.J. & Hartog, J.A., 1988.
"Nonlineair regression with discrete explanatory variables : with an application to the earnings function,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0003, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Bierens, Herman J. & Hartog, Joop, 1988. "Non-linear regression with discrete explanatory variables, with an application to the earnings function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 269-299, July.
- Charles F. Manski & Elie Tamer, 2002. "Inference on Regressions with Interval Data on a Regressor or Outcome," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 519-546, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:2259. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.