Semiparametric Binary Choice Panel Data Models Without Strictly Exogeneous Regressors
Previous estimators of binary choice panel data models with fixed effects require strong parametric error asumptions, strictly exogeneous regressors, or both. This is because nonlinearity of the model precludes the use of the "moment conditions on differences" based estimators that are generally employed for linear models without strictly exogeneous regressors. Based on the cross section binary choice estimator in Lewbel (2000a), we show how discrete choice panel data models with fixed effects can be estimated with only predetermined regressors. The estimator is semiparametric in that the error distribution is not specified, it allows for some general forms of heteroskedasticity, and converges at rate root n.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 70 (2002)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://www.econometricsociety.org/publications/econometrica/access/ordering-back-issues Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haerdle,Wolfgang & Stoker,Thomas, 1987. "Investigations smooth multiple regression by the method of average derivatives," Discussion Paper Serie A 107, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Arthur Lewbel & Oliver Linton & Daniel McFadden, 2001.
"Estimating features of a distribution from binomial data,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP07/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lewbel, Arthur & McFadden, Daniel & Linton, Oliver, 2011. "Estimating features of a distribution from binomial data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 170-188, June.
- Arthur Lewbel & Daniel McFadden & Oliver Linton, 1997. "Estimating Features of a Distribution from Binomial Data," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 442, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Jul 2010.
- Arthur Lewbel & Oliver Linton & D. L. McFadden, 2006. "Estimating features of a distribution from binomial data," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 4418, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Sherman, Robert P., 1994. "U-Processes in the Analysis of a Generalized Semiparametric Regression Estimator," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 372-395, June.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995.
"Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Powell, James L & Stock, James H & Stoker, Thomas M, 1989. "Semiparametric Estimation of Index Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1403-30, November.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1994.
"The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1349-82, November.
- Newey, W.K., 1991. "The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators," Working papers 583, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Newey, W.K., 1989. "The Asymptotic Variance Of Semiparametric Estimotors," Papers 346, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Adams, Robert M & Berger, Allen N & Sickles, Robin C, 1999. "Semiparametric Approaches to Stochastic Panel Frontiers with Applications in the Banking Industry," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(3), pages 349-58, July.
- Arellano, Manuel & Carrasco, Raquel, 2003.
"Binary choice panel data models with predetermined variables,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 125-157, July.
- Arellano, M & Carrasco, R, 1996. "Binary Choice Panel Data Models with Predetermined Variables," Papers 9618, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:10:y:1994:i:2:p:372-95 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lewbel, Arthur, 2000.
"Semiparametric qualitative response model estimation with unknown heteroscedasticity or instrumental variables,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 145-177, July.
- Arthur Lewbel, 1999. "Semiparametric Qualitative Response Model Estimation with Unknown Heteroskedasticity or Instrumental Variables," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 454, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Maurin, Eric, 2002.
"The impact of parental income on early schooling transitions: A re-examination using data over three generations,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 301-332, September.
- Eric Maurin, 1999. "The Impact of Parental Income on Early Schooling Transitions : A Re-examination Using Data over Three Generations," Working Papers 99-69, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Yongmiao Hong & Halbert White, 2005. "Asymptotic Distribution Theory for Nonparametric Entropy Measures of Serial Dependence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(3), pages 837-901, 05.
- Heckman, James J & Macurdy, Thomas E, 1980. "A Life Cycle Model of Female Labour Supply," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 47-74, January.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2000. "Asymptotic Trimming for Bounded Density Plug-in Estimators," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 479, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 30 Oct 2000.
- Newey, Whitney K. & McFadden, Daniel, 1986. "Large sample estimation and hypothesis testing," Handbook of Econometrics, in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 36, pages 2111-2245 Elsevier.
- Manski, Charles F, 1987. "Semiparametric Analysis of Random Effects Linear Models from Binary Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 357-62, March.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Rosa L. Matzkin, 2001. "Panel Data Estimators for Nonseparable Models with Endogenous Regressors," NBER Technical Working Papers 0267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:emetrp:v:70:y:2002:i:5:p:2053-2063. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.