Political Economy of Agricultural Policies and Environmental Weights
In this paper, a theoretical model was constructed to endogenously determine environmental weights in the agricultural sector. The conventional Political Preference Function was extended to include environmental weights. The model was applied to the wheat sector in the EU for the years 1990 and 2006. The results imply that designing protection levels that have small disparities between domestic and world prices and avoiding excess production cause a positive environmental surplus which leads to higher environmental weights.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 011 6706060
Fax: +39 011 6706062
Web page: http://www.esomas.unito.it/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rausser, Gordon C & Freebairn, John W, 1974. "Estimation of Policy Preference Functions: An Application to U.S. Beef Import Quotas," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(4), pages 437-49, November.
- Cemal Atici, 2005. "Weight Perception and Efficiency Loss in Bilateral Trading: The Case of US and EU Agricultural Policies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 283-292, November.
- Kennedy, P. Lynn & von Witzke, Harald & Roe, Terry L., 1994.
"Strategic Agricultural Trade Policy Interdependence And The Exchange Rate: A Game Theoretic Analysis,"
51441, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Kennedy, P Lynn & von Witzke, Harald & Roe, Terry L, 1996. " Strategic Agricultural Trade Policy Interdependence and the Exchange Rate: A Game Theoretic Analysis," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 88(1-2), pages 43-56, July.
- Atici, Cemal & Kennedy, P. Lynn, 2005. "Tradeoffs between income distribution and welfare: The case of Turkey's integration into the European Union," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 553-563, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icr:wpicer:25-2008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.