The Impact of Macroeconomic Factors on Risks in the Banking Sector: A Cross-Country Empirical Assessment
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Sironi, Andrea, 2003.
" Testing for Market Discipline in the European Banking Industry: Evidence from Subordinated Debt Issues,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(3), pages 443-472, June.
- Andrea Sironi, 2000. "Testing for market discipline in the European banking industry: evidence from subordinated debt issues," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-40, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), revised 2000.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1996. "Understanding Financial Crises: A Developing Country Perspective," NBER Working Papers 5600, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999.
"The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), revised 1996.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ari Hyytinen, 2002. "The time profile of risk in banking crises: evidence from Scandinavian banking sectors," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(9), pages 613-623.
- Gorton, Gary, 1988. "Banking Panics and Business Cycles," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(4), pages 751-781, December.
- Claudia M. Buch & Gayle L. DeLong & Katja Neugebauer, 2007. "International Banking and the Allocation of Risk," IAW Discussion Papers 32, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- L. Baele & R. Vander Vennet & A. Van Landschoot, 2004. "Bank Risk Strategies and Cyclical Variation in Bank Stock Returns," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/217, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 2000.
"Imperfect competition, risk taking, and regulation in banking,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-34, January.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1995. "Imperfect Competition, Risk Taking, and Regulation in Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 1177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boyd, John H. & Levine, Ross & Smith, Bruce D., 2001. "The impact of inflation on financial sector performance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 221-248, April.
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Karacaovali, Baybars & Laeven, Luc, 2005. "Deposit insurance around the world : a comprehensive database," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3628, The World Bank.
- Kevin C. Murdock & Thomas F. Hellmann & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2000. "Liberalization, Moral Hazard in Banking, and Prudential Regulation: Are Capital Requirements Enough?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 147-165, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Md. Shahidul Islam & Shin-Ichi Nishiyama, 2017. "Is this adverse selection or something else to determine the non-performing loans? Dynamic panel evidence from South Asian countries," Discussion Papers 1723, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
- Md. Shahidul Islam & Shin-Ichi Nishiyama, 2019. "Non-Performing Loans of Commercial Banks in South Asian Countries: Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard Issues," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 9(9), pages 1091-1106, September.
- CLICHICI, Dorina & COLESNICOVA, Tatiana, 2014. "The Impact Of Macroeconomic Factors On Non-Performing Loans In The Republic Of Moldova," Journal of Financial and Monetary Economics, Centre of Financial and Monetary Research "Victor Slavescu", vol. 1(1), pages 73-78.
- Md. Shahidul Islam & Shin-Ichi Nishiyama, 2016. "The Determinants of Non-performing Loans: Dynamic Panel Evidence from South Asian Countries," TERG Discussion Papers 353, Graduate School of Economics and Management, Tohoku University.
- Md. Shahidul Islam & Shin-Ichi Nishiyama, 2016.
"The Determinants of Non-performing Loans: Dynamic Panel Evidence from South Asian Countries,"
TERG Discussion Papers
353, Graduate School of Economics and Management, Tohoku University.
- Md. Shahidul ISLAM & Shin-Ichi NISHIYAMA, 2016. "The Determinants of Non-performing Loans: Dynamic Panel Evidence from South Asian Countries," DSSR Discussion Papers 64, Graduate School of Economics and Management, Tohoku University.
- Mahmoud Abdelaziz Touny & Mohamed Abdelhameed Shehab, 2015. "Macroeconomic Determinants of Non-Performing Loans: An Empirical Study of Some Arab Countries," American Journal of Economics and Business Administration, Science Publications, vol. 7(1), pages 11-22, May.
- Nderitu Kingori, 2016. "Market Structure, Macroeconomic Shocks, and Banking Risk in Kenya," Econometric Research in Finance, SGH Warsaw School of Economics, Collegium of Economic Analysis, vol. 1(2), pages 81-113, December.
More about this item
Keywordsinternational banking; macroeconomic conditions; banking risk;
- F37 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Finance Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-BAN-2008-11-04 (Banking)
- NEP-BEC-2008-11-04 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CBA-2008-11-04 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2008-11-04 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-OPM-2008-11-04 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
- NEP-RMG-2008-11-04 (Risk Management)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iaw:iawdip:44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rolf Kleimann). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/iawtude.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.