The Changing Distribution of Working Hours in Australia
This paper presents statistical evidence on the nature of working time arrangements in Australia, and especially their distribution. More specifically, the paper analyses: (i) the distribution of weekly working hours in Australia and how that has changed over time; (ii) the extent of mismatch between usual and preferred hours of work, and the degree of persistence in such mismatch; (iii) annual leave usage and its correlation with weekly hours of work; and (iv) how working time arrangements in Australia compare with that in other industrial nations.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia|
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MARK WOODEN & ROGER WILKINS & SEAMUS McGUINNESS, 2007. "Minimum Wages And The ‘Working Poor’," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 26(4), pages 295-307, December.
- Robert Drago & Mark Wooden & David Black, 2009.
"Long Work Hours: Volunteers and Conscripts,"
British Journal of Industrial Relations,
London School of Economics, vol. 47(3), pages 571-600, 09.
- Robert Drago & Mark Wooden & David Black, 2006. "Long Work Hours: Volunteers and Conscripts," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2006n27, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Drago, Robert & Wooden, Mark & Black, David, 2006. "Long Work Hours: Volunteers and Conscripts," IZA Discussion Papers 2484, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mark Wooden & Nicole Watson, 2007. "The HILDA Survey and its Contribution to Economic and Social Research (So Far)," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 83(261), pages 208-231, 06.
- John Burgess, 1998. "Working-Time Patterns And Working-Time Deregulation In Australia," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 17(2), pages 35-47, 06.
- Peetz, D & Townsend, K & Russell, B & Houghton, C & Allan, C & Fox, A, 2003. "Race against time: Extended hours in Australia," Australian Bulletin of Labour, National Institute of Labour Studies, vol. 29(2), pages 126-142.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iae:iaewps:wp2007n19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Abbey Treloar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.