Efficient Iterative Maximum Likelihood Estimation of High-Parameterized Time Series Models
We propose an iterative procedure to efficiently estimate models with complex log-likelihood functions and the number of parameters relative to the observations being potentially high. Given consistent but inefficient estimates of sub-vectors of the parameter vector, the procedure yields computationally tractable, consistent and asymptotic efficient estimates of all parameters. We show the asymptotic normality and derive the estimator's asymptotic covariance in dependence of the number of iteration steps. To mitigate the curse of dimensionality in high-parameterized models, we combine the procedure with a penalization approach yielding sparsity and reducing model complexity. Small sample properties of the estimator are illustrated for two time series models in a simulation study. In an empirical application, we use the proposed method to estimate the connectedness between companies by extending the approach by Diebold and Yilmaz (2014) to a high-dimensional non-Gaussian setting.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francis X. Diebold & Kamil Yilmaz, 2011.
"On the Network Topology of Variance Decompositions: Measuring the Connectedness of Financial Firms,"
Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
1124, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Yılmaz, Kamil, 2014. "On the network topology of variance decompositions: Measuring the connectedness of financial firms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 182(1), pages 119-134.
- Francis X. Diebold & Kamil Yilmaz, 2011. "On the Network Topology of Variance Decompositions: Measuring the Connectedness of Financial Firms," NBER Working Papers 17490, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francis X. Diebold & Kamil Yılmaz, 2011. "On the Network Topology of Variance Decompositions: Measuring the Connectedness of Financial Firms," PIER Working Paper Archive 11-031, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Francis X. Diebold & Kamil Yilmaz, 2011. "On the network topology of variance decompositions: Measuring the connectedness of financial firms," Working Papers 11-45, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Song, Peter X.K. & Fan, Yanqin & Kalbfleisch, John D., 2005. "Maximization by Parts in Likelihood Inference," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1145-1158, December.
- Robert Tibshirani, 2011. "Regression shrinkage and selection via the lasso: a retrospective," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 73(3), pages 273-282, 06.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fan J. & Li R., 2001. "Variable Selection via Nonconcave Penalized Likelihood and its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1348-1360, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hum:wpaper:sfb649dp2014-010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.