Combination of multivariate volatility forecasts
This paper proposes a novel approach to the combination of conditional covariance matrix forecasts based on the use of the Generalized Method of Moments (GMM). It is shown how the procedure can be generalized to deal with large dimensional systems by means of a two-step strategy. The finite sample properties of the GMM estimator of the combination weights are investigated by Monte Carlo simulations. Finally, in order to give an appraisal of the economic implications of the combined volatility predictor, the results of an application to tactical asset allocation are presented.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Spandauer Str. 1,10178 Berlin|
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Skoulakis, Georgios & Wang, Zhenyu, 2002. "Generalized Method of Moments: Applications in Finance," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 470-481, October.
- Jeff Fleming, 2001. "The Economic Value of Volatility Timing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 329-352, 02.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Paolo Zaffaroni, 2004.
"Model Averaging and Value-at-Risk Based Evaluation of Large Multi Asset Volatility Models for Risk Management,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1358, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Zaffaroni, Paolo, 2005. "Model Averaging and Value-at-Risk Based Evaluation of Large Multi-Asset Volatility Models for Risk Management," CEPR Discussion Papers 5279, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hashem Pesaran & Paolo Zaffaroni & Banca d'Italia), 2004. "Model Averaging and Value-at-Risk based Evaluation of Large Multi Asset Volatility Models for Risk Management," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 101, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Paolo Zaffaroni, 2004. "Model Averaging and Value-at-Risk based Evaluation of Large Multi Asset Volatility Models for Risk Management," IEPR Working Papers 04.3, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-350, July.
- Amendola, Alessandra & Storti, Giuseppe, 2008. "A GMM procedure for combining volatility forecasts," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 3047-3060, February.
- Torben G. ANDERSEN & Tim BOLLERSLEV & Nour MEDDAHI, 2002. "Correcting The Errors : A Note On Volatility Forecast Evaluation Based On High-Frequency Data And Realized Volatilities," Cahiers de recherche 21-2002, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Nour Meddahi, 2002. "Correcting the Errors: A Note on Volatility Forecast Evaluation Based on High-Frequency Data and Realized Volatilities," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-91, CIRANO.
- ANDERSEN, Torben G. & BOLLERSLEV, Tim & MEDDAHI, Nour, 2002. "Correcting the Errors : A Note on Volatility Forecast Evaluation Based on High-Frequency Data and Realized Volatilities," Cahiers de recherche 2002-21, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Kristensen, Dennis & Linton, Oliver, 2006. "A Closed-Form Estimator For The Garch(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 323-337, April.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-708, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Storti, G., 2006. "Minimum distance estimation of GARCH(1,1) models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 1803-1821, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)