Forward-Looking Exporters and Exchange Rate Pass-Through: A Micro-Level Investigation
This paper shows that the pricing behavior of exporting firms exhibits a "forward-looking" nature under sticky prices. It offers a channel by which the expectations of future exchange rates affect current prices. To seek the micro-level evidence, we adopt detailed product-level import data of the United States and firm-product-level export data of China combined with forward premiums to study the exchange rate pass-through. We find that not only current (and past) exchange rate fluctuations but also anticipated future exchange rate changes effectively pass through into current prices, suggesting a potentially important factor in help explaining incomplete exchange rate pass-through.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2015|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IAS 2018-2020, Lo KA Chung Building, Lee Shau Kee Campus, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon|
Phone: (852) 34692215
Web page: http://iems.ust.hk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1989.
"Forward Discount Bias: Is it an Exchange Risk Premium?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 104(1), pages 139-161.
- Kenneth A. Froot and Jeffrey A. Frankel., 1988. "Forward Discount Bias: Is It an Exchange Risk Premium?," Economics Working Papers 8874, University of California at Berkeley.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Frankel, Jeffrey A., 1988. "Forward Discount Bias: Is It an Exchange Risk Premium?," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5w65g4zg, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Heiwai Tang & Yifan Zhang, 2012. "Exchange Rates and the Margins of Trade: Evidence from Chinese Exporters," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 58(4), pages 671-702, December.
- Heiwai Tang & Yifan Zhang, 2011. "Exchange Rates and the Margins of Trade: Evidence from Chinese Exporters," Working Papers 392011, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Strasser, Georg, 2013. "Exchange rate pass-through and credit constraints," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 25-38.
- Georg H. Strasser, 2011. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Credit Constraints: Firms Price to Market as Long as They Can," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 788, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 13 Feb 2012.
- Haichao Fan & Yao Amber Li & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2015. "Trade Liberalization, Quality, and Export Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 97(5), pages 1033-1051, December.
- Fan, Haichao & Li, Yao Amber & Yeaple, Stephen, 2013. "Trade Liberalization, Quality, and Export Prices," MPRA Paper 51370, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Haichao Fan & Yao Amber Li & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2014. "Trade Liberalization, Quality, and Export Prices," NBER Working Papers 20323, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haichao Fan & Yao Amber Li & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2015. "Trade Liberalization, Quality, and Export Prices," HKUST IEMS Working Paper Series 2015-01, HKUST Institute for Emerging Market Studies, revised Jan 2015.
- Yii Siing Wong & Chong Mun Ho & Brian Dollery, 2012. "Impact of exchange rate volatility on import flows: the case of Malaysia and the United States," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(24), pages 2027-2034, December.
- Wang, Jian, 2010. "Home bias, exchange rate disconnect, and optimal exchange rate policy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 55-78, February.
- Wang, Jian, 2007. "Home bias, exchange rate disconnect, and optimal exchange rate policy," Working Papers 0701, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Devereux, Michael B. & Yetman, James, 2010. "Price adjustment and exchange rate pass-through," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 181-200, February.
- Craig R. Parsons & Kiyotaka Sato, 2006. "Exchange Rate Pass-through and Currency Invoicing: Implications for Monetary Integration in East Asia," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(12), pages 1759-1788, December.
- Daniels, Joseph P. & VanHoose, David D., 2013. "Exchange-rate pass through, openness, and the sacrifice ratio," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 131-150.
- Daniels, Joseph P & VanHoose, David D, 2010. "Exchange-Rate Pass Through, Openness, and the Sacrifice Ratio," Working Papers and Research 2010-05, Marquette University, Center for Global and Economic Studies and Department of Economics.
- Li, Hongbin & Ma, Hong & Xu, Yuan, 2015. "How do exchange rate movements affect Chinese exports? — A firm-level investigation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 148-161. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hku:wpaper:201528. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carla Chan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.