Conceptualizing the innovation process – trends and outlook
This paper introduces the evolving understanding and conceptualization of innovation process models. From the discussion of different approaches towards the innovation process understanding and modeling two types of approaches to the evolution of innovation models are developed and discussed. First the so-called innovation management approach which focuses on the evolution of the company innovation management strategies in different socioeconomic environments. Second is the analysis the evolution of innovation models themselves in conceptual sense (conceptual approach) as well as analysis of theoretical backgrounds and requirements for these models. The main focus of analysis in this approach is on advantages and disadvantages of different innovation models in their ability to describe the reality of innovation processes. The paper focuses on the advantages and disadvantages as well as potentials and limitations of the approaches and also proposes potential future developments of innovation models as well as the analysis of driving forces that underlie the evolution of innovation models recently.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in WP BRP Series: Science, Technology and Innovation / STI, April 2013, pages 1-33|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Myasnitskaya 20, Moscow 101000|
Web page: http://www.hse.ru/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlsson, Bo & Jacobsson, Staffan & Holmen, Magnus & Rickne, Annika, 2002. "Innovation systems: analytical and methodological issues," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 233-245, February.
- Kenneth E. Knight, 1967. "A Descriptive Model of the Intra-Firm Innovation Process," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40, pages 478.
- Simona Iammarino, 2005. "An evolutionary integrated view of Regional Systems of Innovation: Concepts, measures and historical perspectives," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 497-519, June.
- Kotsemir, Maxim & Abroskin, Alexander, 2013.
"Innovation Concepts and Typology – An Evolutionary Discussion,"
45069, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maxim Kotsemir & Alexander Abroskin & Dirk Meissner, 2013. "Innovation concepts and typology – an evolutionary discussion," HSE Working papers WP BRP 05/STI/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Maxim Kotsemir & Dirk Meissner & Alexander Abroskin, 2013. "Innovation Concepts and Typology - An Evolutionary Discussion," Post-Print hal-00865865, HAL.
- Dosi, Giovanni & Nelson, Richard R, 1994. "An Introduction to Evolutionary Theories in Economics," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 153-72, September.
- Leonid Gokhberg & Tatiana Kuznetsova & Vitaly Roud, 2012. "Exploring innovation modes of Russian companies: what does the diversity of actors mean for policymaking?," HSE Working papers WP BRP 01/STI/2012, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Sandro Montresor & Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti, 2008. "Innovation Clusters in Technological Systems: A Network Analysis of 15 OECD Countries for the Mid-1990s," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 321-346.
- Niosi, Jorge, 1999. "Fourth-Generation R&D: From Linear Models to Flexible Innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 111-117, June.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-71, September.
- Bjorn Asheim & Helen Lawton Smith & Christine Oughton, 2011. "Regional Innovation Systems: Theory, Empirics and Policy," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(7), pages 875-891.
- Rothwell, R. & Freeman, C. & Horsley, A. & Jervis, V. T. P. & Robertson, A. B. & Townsend, J., 1993. "SAPPHO updated -- project SAPPHO phase II," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 110-110, April.
- Metcalfe, J S, 1995. "Technology Systems and Technology Policy in an Evolutionary Framework," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 25-46, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hig:wpaper:wpbrp10sti2013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamil Abdulaev)or (Victoria Elkina)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.