04-03 "Is Economics a Natural Science?"
Advocates of a more socially responsible discipline of economics often emphasize the purposive and unpredictable nature of human economic behavior, contrasting this to the presumably deterministic behavior of natural forces. This essay argues that such a distinction between “social” and “natural” sciences is in fact counterproductive, especially when issues of ecological sustainability are concerned. What is needed instead is a better notion of science—“science-with-wonder”—which grounds serious science in relational, non-Newtonian thinking.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 44 Teele Avenue Medford, MA 02155|
Web page: http://ase.tufts.edu/gdae
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan M. Harris, "undated". "01-09 "Macroeconomic Policy and Sustainability"," GDAE Working Papers 01-09, GDAE, Tufts University.
- Jonathan M. Harris & Neva R. Goodwin, "undated". "03-03 "Reconciling Growth and Environment"," GDAE Working Papers 03-03, GDAE, Tufts University.
- Kevin P. Gallagher & Francisco Aguayo & Ana Citlalic González, "undated". "01-07 "Dirt is in the Eye of the Beholder: The World Bank Air Pollution Intensities for Mexico"," GDAE Working Papers 01-07, GDAE, Tufts University.
- Kevin P. Gallagher & Frank Ackerman & Luke Ney, "undated". "02-01 "Economic Analysis in Environmental Reviews of Trade Agreements: Assessing the North American Experience"," GDAE Working Papers 02-01, GDAE, Tufts University.
- Jonathan M. Harris, "undated". "01-04 "Agriculture in a Global Perspective"," GDAE Working Papers 01-04, GDAE, Tufts University.
- Jonathan M. Harris, 2001. "Basic Principles of Sustainable Development," Development and Comp Systems 0106006, EconWPA.
- Neva R. Goodwin & Oleg I. Ananyin & Frank Ackerman & Thomas E. Weisskopf, 2001. "Economics in Context: The Need for a New Textbook," General Economics and Teaching 0106002, EconWPA.
- Kevin Gallagher, 2001. "Trade Liberalization and Industrial Pollution in Mexico: Lessons for the FTAA"," International Trade 0106003, EconWPA.
- Neva R. Goodwin & Jonathan M. Harris, "undated". "01-05 "Better Principles: New Approaches to Teaching Introductory Economics"," GDAE Working Papers 01-05, GDAE, Tufts University.
- Aguayo, Francisco & Gallagher, Kevin P., 2005. "Economic reform, energy, and development: the case of Mexican manufacturing," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 829-837, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dae:daepap:04-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Erin Coutts)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.