Timing of death and the repeal of the Swedish inheritance tax
Does taxation affect the timing of death? This is an interesting example of how behavior might be affected by economic incentives. We study how two changes in Swedish inheritance taxation 2003/04 and 2004/05 have affected mortality during the turns of the years. Our first main result is that deceased with estates taxable for legal heirs were 10 percentage points more likely to have died on New Year’s Day 2005, from when the inheritance tax was repealed, rather than on New Year’s Eve 2004, compared to deceased without taxable estates for legal heirs. The second main result is that deceased with estates taxable for a married spouse were 12 percentage points more likely to have died on New Year’s Day 2004, from when the inheritance tax between spouses was repealed, rather than on New Year’s Eve 2003, compared to deceased without taxable estates for a married spouse.
|Date of creation:||26 Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as Eliason, Marcus and Henry Ohlsson, 'Timing of death and the repeal of the Swedish inheritance tax' in Journal of Socio-Economics, 2013, pages 113-123.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 46 18 471 25 00
Fax: + 46 18 471 14 78
Web page: http://www.nek.uu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henry Ohlsson, Michael Neugart and, 2009.
"Economic incentives and the timing of births: Evidence from the German parental benefit reform 2007,"
Working Paper Series, Center for Fiscal Studies
2009:10, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Michael Neugart & Henry Ohlsson, 2013. "Economic incentives and the timing of births: evidence from the German parental benefit reform of 2007," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 87-108, January.
- Gans Joshua S & Leigh Andrew, 2006.
"Did the Death of Australian Inheritance Taxes Affect Deaths?,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-9, November.
- Joshua S. Gans & Andrew Leigh, 2006. "Did the Death of Australian Inheritance Taxes Affect Deaths?," CEPR Discussion Papers 530, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Joshua Gans & Andrew Leigh, 2009.
"The millennium bub,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(14), pages 1467-1470.
- Eliason, Marcus & Ohlsson, Henry, 2007.
"Living to Save Taxes,"
Working Paper Series
2007:8, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Miccinesi, Guido & Fischer, Susanne & Paci, Eugenio & Onwuteaka-Philipsen, Bregje D & Cartwright, Colleen & van der Heide, Agnes & Nilstun, Tore & Norup, Michael & Mortier, Freddy, 2005. "Physicians' attitudes towards end-of-life decisions: a comparison between seven countries," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(9), pages 1961-1974, May.
- Wojciech Kopczuk & Joel Slemrod, 2001.
"Dying to Save Taxes: Evidence from Estate Tax Returns on the Death Elasticity,"
NBER Working Papers
8158, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wojciech Kopczuk & Joel Slemrod, 2003. "Dying to Save Taxes: Evidence from Estate-Tax Returns on the Death Elasticity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 256-265, May.
- Gans, Joshua S. & Leigh, Andrew, 2009.
"Born on the first of July: An (un)natural experiment in birth timing,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(1-2), pages 246-263, February.
- Joshua S. Gans & Andrew Leigh, 2006. "Born on the First of July: An (Un)natural Experiment in Birth Timing," CEPR Discussion Papers 529, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Marcus Tamm, 2009. "The Impact of a Large Parental Leave Benefit Reform on the Timing of Birth around the Day of Implementation," Ruhr Economic Papers 0098, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:uunewp:2010_005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarina Grönvall)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.