Decomposing the productivity differences between hospitals in the Nordic countries
Previous studies indicate that Finnish hospitals have significantly higher productivity than in the other Nordic countries. We decompose the productivity levels into technical efficiency, scale efficiency and country specific possibility sets (technical frontiers). Data have been collected on operating costs and patient discharges in each DRG group for all hospitals in the Nordic countries. We find that there are small differences in scale and technical efficiency between countries, but large differences in production possibilities (frontier position). The results are robust to the choice of bootstrapped Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) or Stochastic Frontier Analysis (SFA) as frontier estimation methodology.
|Date of creation:||23 Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: HERO / Institute of Health Management and Health Economics P.O. Box 1089 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: 2307 5309
Fax: 2307 5310
Web page: http://www.hero.uio.no/eng.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Benoit Dervaux & Gary Ferrier & Herve Leleu & Vivian Valdmanis, 2004. "Comparing French and US hospital technologies: a directional input distance function approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(10), pages 1065-1081.
- Halsteinli, Vidar & Kittelsen, Sverre A. & Magnussen, Jon, 2010. "Productivity growth in outpatient child and adolescent mental health services: The impact of case-mix adjustment," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 439-446, February.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Dag Fjeld Edvardsen & Finn R. Førsund, 2001.
"International benchmarking of electricity distribution utilities,"
ICER Working Papers
08-2002, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Edvardsen, Dag Fjeld & Forsund, Finn R., 2003. "International benchmarking of electricity distribution utilities," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 353-371, October.
- Førsund, Finn R & Edvardsen, Dag F., 2001. "International Benchmarking of Electricity Distribution Utilities," Memorandum 35/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998.
"Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., . "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Linna, Miika & Hakkinen, Unto & Magnussen, Jon, 2006. "Comparing hospital cost efficiency between Norway and Finland," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 77(3), pages 268-278, August.
- Lee Rivers Mobley & Jon Magnussen, 1998. "An international comparison of hospital efficiency: does institutional environment matter?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(8), pages 1089-1100.
- Mette Asmild & Bruce Hollingsworth & Stephen Birch, 2012.
"The scale of hospital production in different settings: One size does not fit all,"
MSAP Working Paper Series
04_2012, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Mette Asmild & Bruce Hollingsworth & Stephen Birch, 2013. "The scale of hospital production in different settings: one size does not fit all," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 197-206, October.
- Medin, Emma & Häkkinen, Unto & Linna, Miika & Anthun, Kjartan S. & Kittelsen, Sverre A.C. & Rehnberg, Clas, 2013. "International hospital productivity comparison: Experiences from the Nordic countries," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 80-87.
- Miika Linna & Unto Häkkinen & Mikko Peltola & Jon Magnussen & Kjartan Anthun & Sverre Kittelsen & Annette Roed & Kim Olsen & Emma Medin & Clas Rehnberg, 2010. "Measuring cost efficiency in the Nordic Hospitals—a cross-sectional comparison of public hospitals in 2002," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 346-357, December.
- Lukas Steinmann & Gunnar Dittrich & Alexander Karmann & Peter Zweifel, 2004. "Measuring and comparing the (in)efficiency of German and Swiss hospitals," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 5(3), pages 216-226, September.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Kjell Salvanes & Sigve Tjøtta, 1998. "A Note on the Importance of Testing for Regularities for Estimated Flexible Functional Forms," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 133-143, March.
- Mette Asmild & Fai Tam, 2007. "Estimating global frontier shifts and global Malmquist indices," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 137-148, April.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 2008. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency and Productivity Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195183528, December.
- Salvanes, K.G. & Tjotta, S., 1998. "A NOte on the Importance of Testing for Regularities for Estimated Flexible Functional Forms," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 177, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Kittelsen, Sverre A.C. & Magnussen, Jon & Sarheim Anthun, Kjartan & Häkkinen, Unto & Linna, Miika & Medin, Emma & Olsen, Kim Rose & Rehnberg, Clas, 2009. "Hospital productivity and the Norwegian ownership reform – A Nordic comparative study," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2008:10, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Varabyova, Yauheniya & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2013. "International comparisons of the technical efficiency of the hospital sector: Panel data analysis of OECD countries using parametric and non-parametric approaches," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 70-79.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R & Jansen, Eilev S, 1992. " Malmquist Indices of Productivity Growth during the Deregulation of Norwegian Banking, 1980-89," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S211-28, Supplemen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:oslohe:2013_004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anbjørg Kolaas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.