Land tenure in Tigray: How large is the gender bias?
This study finds that female-headed households have 23% smaller owned landholdings and 54% smaller operational landholdings. Differences in characteristics such as age, labor, oxen and previous divorce explain less than half the differences in landholding sizes, while the remaining can be attributed to differences in returns to these characteristics. This indicates that there is a gender bias in access to land, even after land reforms that intended to strengthen women’s rights. The main policy recommendation is to further gender-sensitize the land certification process, strengthen women’s opportunities to cultivate their land and continue the process of securing women’s tenure rights.
|Date of creation:||08 May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Land Tenure Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, P.O. Box 5003, NO-1432 Aas, Norway|
Phone: (+47) 6496 5700
Fax: (+47) 6494 3012
Web page: http://www.umb.no/clts
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holden, Stein & Yohannes, Hailu, 2001.
"Land redistribution, tenure insecurity, and intensity of production: a study of farm households in southern Ethiopia,"
CAPRi working papers
21, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Stein Holden & Hailu Yohannes, 2002. "Land Redistribution, Tenure Insecurity, and Intensity of Production: A Study of Farm Households in Southern Ethiopia," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(4), pages 573-590.
- Stein Holden & Klaus Deininger & Hosaena Ghebru, 2011. "Tenure Insecurity, Gender, Low-cost Land Certification and Land Rental Market Participation in Ethiopia," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(1), pages 31-47.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Udry, Christopher, 1996. "Gender, Agricultural Production, and the Theory of the Household," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(5), pages 1010-46, October.
- Deininger, Klaus & Ali, Daniel Ayalew & Alemu, Tekie, 2007.
"Assessing the functioning of land rental markets in Ethiopia,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4442, The World Bank.
- Klaus Deininger & Daniel Ayalew Ali & Tekie Alemu, 2008. "Assessing the Functioning of Land Rental Markets in Ethiopia," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(1), pages 67-100, October.
- Jonna P. Estudillo & JAgnes R. Quisumbing & JoKeijiro Otsuka, 2001. "Gender Differences in Land Inheritance and Schooling Investments in the Rural Philippines," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(1), pages 130-143.
- Ghebru, Hosaena H. & Holden, Stein T., 2012.
"Reverse-Share-Tenancy and Marshallian Inefficiency: Bargaining Power of Landowners and the Sharecropper’s Productivity,"
2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil
126883, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ghebru, Hosaena H. & Holden, Stein T., 2012. "Reverse Share-Tenancy and Marshallian Inefficiency: Bargaining Power of Landowners and the Sharecroppers’ Productivity," CLTS Working Papers 2/12, Centre for Land Tenure Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
- Edella Schlager & Elinor Ostrom, 1992. "Property-Rights Regimes and Natural Resources: A Conceptual Analysis," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(3), pages 249-262.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing & Adenew, Berhanu & Gebre-Selassie, Samuel & Nega, Berhanu, 2003.
"Tenure security and land-related investment - evidence from Ethiopia,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2991, The World Bank.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing, 2006. "Tenure security and land-related investment: Evidence from Ethiopia," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 1245-1277, July.
- Deininger, Klaus & Ali, Daniel Ayalew & Holden, Stein & Zevenbergen, Jaap, 2008.
"Rural Land Certification in Ethiopia: Process, Initial Impact, and Implications for Other African Countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1786-1812, October.
- Deininger, Klaus & Ali, Daniel Ayalew & Holden, Stein & Zevenbergen, Jaap, 2007. "Rural land certification in Ethiopia : process, initial impact, and implications for other African countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4218, The World Bank.
- John Pender & Berhanu Gebremedhin, 2008. "Determinants of Agricultural and Land Management Practices and Impacts on Crop Production and Household Income in the Highlands of Tigray, Ethiopia," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 17(3), pages 395-450, June.
- Ben Jann, 2008.
"A Stata implementation of the Blinder-Oaxaca decomposition,"
ETH Zurich Sociology Working Papers
5, ETH Zurich, Chair of Sociology, revised 14 May 2008.
- Ben Jann, 2008. "OAXACA: Stata module to compute the Blinder-Oaxaca decomposition," Statistical Software Components S456936, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 25 Aug 2011.
- Chen, Susan E. & Bhagowalia, Priya & Shively, Gerald, 2011.
"Input Choices in Agriculture: Is There A Gender Bias?,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 561-568, April.
- Priya BHAGOWALIA & Susan E. CHEN & Gerald SHIVELY, 2007. "Input Choices In Agriculture: Is There A Gender Bias?," Working Papers 07-09, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Agarwal, Bina, 1994. "Gender and command over property: A critical gap in economic analysis and policy in South Asia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(10), pages 1455-1478, October.
- Deere, Carmen Diana & Leon, Magdalena, 2003. "The Gender Asset Gap: Land in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 925-947, June.
- Holden, Stein & Shiferaw, Bekele & Pender, John L., 2001.
"Market imperfections and land productivity in the Ethiopian Highlands:,"
EPTD discussion papers
76, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Stein Holden & Bekele Shiferaw & John Pender, 2001. "Market Imperfections and Land Productivity in the Ethiopian Highlands," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 53-70.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Quisumbing, Agnes R, 2005. "Marriage, Bequest, and Assortative Matching in Rural Ethiopia," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(2), pages 347-80, January.
- Carmen Diana Deere & Cheryl Doss, 2006. "The Gender Asset Gap: What Do We Know And Why Does It Matter?," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1-2), pages 1-50.
- Agnes R. Quisumbing & John A. Maluccio, 2003. "Resources at Marriage and Intrahousehold Allocation: Evidence from Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Indonesia, and South Africa," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(3), pages 283-327, 07.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Bereket Kebede, 2006. "Land reform distribution of land & institutions in rural Ethiopia: analysis of inequality with dirty data," CSAE Working Paper Series 2006-05, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- F. L. Jones & Jonathan Kelley, 1984. "Decomposing Differences between Groups," Sociological Methods & Research, , vol. 12(3), pages 323-343, February.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:nlsclt:2013_005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kateryna Krutskykh)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.