Rural land certification in Ethiopia : process, initial impact, and implications for other African countries
Although many African countries have recently adopted highly innovative and pro-poor land laws, lack of implementation thwarts their potentially far-reaching impact on productivity, poverty reduction, and governance. The authors use a representative household survey from Ethiopia where, over a short period, certificates to more than 20 million plots were issued to describe the certification process, explore its incidence and preliminary impact, and quantify the costs. While this provides many suggestions to ensure sustainability and enhance impact, Ethiopia's highly cost-effective first-time registration process provides important lessons.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diana Hunt, 2004. "Unintended Consequences of Land Rights Reform: The Case of the 1998 Uganda Land Act," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 22(2), pages 173-191, 03.
- Hanan G. Jacoby & Bart Minten, 2007. "Is Land Titling in Sub-Saharan Africa Cost-Effective? Evidence from Madagascar," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 21(3), pages 461-485, June.
- Deininger, Klaus W. & Ayalew, Daniel & Yamano, Takashi, 2006.
"Legal Knowledge and Economic Development: The Case of Land Rights in Uganda,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25431, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Klaus Deininger & Daniel Ayalew Ali & Takashi Yamano, 2008. "Legal Knowledge and Economic Development: The Case of Land Rights in Uganda," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 84(4), pages 593-619.
- Deininger, Klaus & Ayalew, Daniel & Yamano, Takashi, 2006. "Legal knowledge and economic development : the case of land rights in Uganda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3868, The World Bank.
- Deininger, Klaus W. & Ali, Daniel Ayalew & Yamano, Takashi, 2006. "Legal knowledge and economic development: The case of land rights in Uganda," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21197, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- World Bank, 2007. "India : Land Policies for Growth and Poverty Reduction," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15791.
- Deininger, Klaus & Castagnini, Raffaella, 2006.
"Incidence and impact of land conflict in Uganda,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 321-345, July.
- Bereket Kebede, 2002. "Land Tenure and Common Pool Resources in Rural Ethiopia: A Study Based on Fifteen Sites," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 14(1), pages 113-149.
- World Bank, 2005. "Ethiopia : Well-Being and Poverty in Ethiopia, The Role of Agriculture and Agency," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8707, The World Bank.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing & Adenew, Berhanu & Gebre-Selassie, Samuel & Nega, Berhanu, 2003.
"Tenure security and land-related investment - evidence from Ethiopia,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2991, The World Bank.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing, 2006. "Tenure security and land-related investment: Evidence from Ethiopia," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 1245-1277, July.
- Andre, Catherine & Platteau, Jean-Philippe, 1998. "Land relations under unbearable stress: Rwanda caught in the Malthusian trap," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 1-47, January.
- Firmin-Sellers, Kathryn & Sellers, Patrick, 1999. "Expected Failures and Unexpected Successes of Land Titling in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1115-1128, July.
- World Bank, 2006. "World Development Indicators 2006," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 8151.
- Klaus Deininger, 2003. "Land Policies for Growth and Poverty Reduction," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15125.
- Mwangi, Esther, 2007. "Subdividing the Commons: Distributional Conflict in the Transition from Collective to Individual Property Rights in Kenya's Maasailand," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 815-834, May.
- Fred-Mensah, Ben K., 1999. "Capturing Ambiguities: Communal Conflict Management Alternative in Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 951-965, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:4218. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.