Welfare reforms and labour supply in Italy
This paper looks at welfare reforms in Italy and their effects on labour supply. I focus on social security reforms, which have taken place in the 1990s and on labour market reforms. Old age social security expenditure in Italy is high (14% of GDP) and the system has been very generous on early retirement possibilities: the reforms have tried to tackle these issues with mixed results. The labour market reforms have addressed the rigidity of the labour market by making it easier for firms to hire on a short-term basis. However the UI system is limited to open-ended contracts and coverage is also restricted, so that young workers employed in short-term contracts have very little protection from the welfare state.
|Date of creation:||16 Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IFAU, P O Box 513, SE-751 20 Uppsala, Sweden|
Phone: (+46) 18 - 471 70 70
Fax: (+46) 18 - 471 70 71
Web page: http://www.ifau.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno Contini, 2005. "Invecchiamento e precarizzazione giovanile nell'occupazione italiana: è possibile una chiave di lettura unificata?," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 41, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Paolo Sestito & Eliana Viviano, 2008.
"Reservation wages: explaining some puzzling regional patterns,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
696, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Paolo Sestito & Eliana Viviano, 2011. "Reservation Wages: Explaining Some Puzzling Regional Patterns," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 25(1), pages 63-88, 03.
- Brugiavini, Agar & Galasso, Vincenzo, 2004.
"The social security reform process in Italy: where do we stand?,"
Journal of Pension Economics and Finance,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 165-195, July.
- Agar Brugiavini & Vincenzo Galasso, 2003. "The Social Security Reform Process in Italy: Where do We Stand?," Working Papers wp052, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Sciulli, Dario, 2006. "Making the italian labor market more flexible: an evaluation of the treu reform," UC3M Working papers. Economics we063408, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ifauwp:2009_029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Fällgren)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.