Minimal Realizations of Forward Rates
We consider interest rate models where the forward rates are allowed to be driven by a multidimensional Wiener process as well as by a marked point process. Assuming a deterministic volatility structure, and using ideas from systems and control theory, we investigate when the input-output map generated by such a model can be realized by a finite dimensional stochastic differential equation. We give necessary and sufficient conditions, in terms of the given volatility structure, for the existence of a finite dimensional realization and we provide a formula for the determination of the dimension of a minimal realization. The abstract state space for a minimal realization is shown to have an immediate economic interpretation in terms of a minimal set of benchmark forward rates, and we give explicit formulas for bond prices in terms of the benchmark rates as well as for the computation of derivate prices.
|Date of creation:||19 Aug 1997|
|Publication status:||Published in Finance and Stochastics, 1999, pages 413-432.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-592.
- Darrell Duffie & Rui Kan, 1996. "A Yield-Factor Model Of Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 379-406.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Robert A. Jarrow, 2009. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 69-96, November.
- Ho, Thomas S Y & Lee, Sang-bin, 1986. " Term Structure Movements and Pricing Interest Rate Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(5), pages 1011-1029, December.
- Hiroshi Shirakawa, 1991. "Interest Rate Option Pricing With Poisson-Gaussian Forward Rate Curve Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(4), pages 77-94.
- Alan Brace & Marek Musiela, 1994. "A Multifactor Gauss Markov Implementation Of Heath, Jarrow, And Morton," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 259-283.
- Tomas Björk & Yuri Kabanov & Wolfgang Runggaldier, 1997. "Bond Market Structure in the Presence of Marked Point Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 211-239.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:hastef:0182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.