Panel Cointegration of Chinese A and B Shares
In this paper we study market segmentation and information flows in China’s stock markets. By using panel data methods we test for a unit root in the price premium of domestic investors' A shares over foreign investors’ B shares as well as cointegration between the prices of the A and B shares on the Shanghai and Shenzhen stock exchanges. We find that the A-share premia are nonstationary and the A- and B-share prices are not cointegrated up till January 2001. After February 2001, when domestic investors were allowed to trade B shares, the A-share premia become stationary and the A- and B-share prices cointegrated. Our findings suggest that the relaxation of the investment restrictions decreased the information asymmetry betwen the A- and B-share markets in China.
|Date of creation:||21 Apr 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 031-773 10 00
Web page: http://www.handels.gu.se/econ/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Chakravarty, Sugato & Sarkar, Asani & Wu, Lifan, 1998.
"Information asymmetry, market segmentation and the pricing of cross-listed shares: theory and evidence from Chinese A and B shares,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 325-356, December.
- Sugato Chakravarty & Asani Sarkar & Lifan Wu, 1998. "Information asymmetry, market segmentation, and the pricing of cross-listed shares: theory and evidence from Chinese A and B shares," Research Paper 9820, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- John Fernald & John H. Rogers, 2002.
"Puzzles In The Chinese Stock Market,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 416-432, August.
- John Fernald & John H. Rogers, 1998. "Puzzles in the Chinese stock market," International Finance Discussion Papers 619, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John Fernald & John H. Rogers, 2000. "Puzzles in the Chinese stock market," Working Paper Series WP-00-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Tom Engsted & Jesper Lund, 1997. "Common stochastic trends in international stock prices and dividends: an example of testing overidentifying restrictions on multiple cointegration vectors," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(6), pages 659-665.
- Larsson, Rolf & Lyhagen, Johan & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998.
"Likelihood-Based Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
250, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 27 Aug 1998.
- Rolf Larsson & Johan Lyhagen & Mickael Lothgren, 2001. "Likelihood-based cointegration tests in heterogeneous panels," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(1), pages 41.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Chan, Kam C. & Fung, Hung-Gay & Thapa, Samanta, 2007. "China financial research: A review and synthesis," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 416-428.
- Gary Gang Tian, 2007. "Are Chinese Stock Markets Increasing Integration With Other Markets In The Greater China Region And Other Major Markets?," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 240-253, 09.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jian Yang, 2003. "Market Segmentation and Information Asymmetry in Chinese Stock Markets: A VAR Analysis," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 38(4), pages 591-609, November.
- Paul McGuinness, 2002. "Reform in China's 'B' share markets and the shrinking A/B share price differential," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(11), pages 705-709.
- Wang, Zijun & Kutan, Ali M. & Yang, Jian, 2005. "Information flows within and across sectors in Chinese stock markets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-5), pages 767-780, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:gunwpe:0300. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Andersson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.