How to Make the Clean Development Mechanism Sustainable - The Potential of Rent Extraction
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Muller, Adrian, 2007. "How to make the clean development mechanism sustainable--The potential of rent extraction," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3203-3212, June.
References listed on IDEAS
- Adam Rose & Erwin Bulte & Henk Folmer, 1999. "Long-Run Implications for Developing Countries of Joint Implementation of Greenhouse Gas Mitigation," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 14(1), pages 19-31, July.
- Santopietro, George D., 1998. "Alternative methods for estimating resource rent and depletion cost: the case of Argentina's YPF," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 39-48, March.
- Halvor Mehlum & Karl Moene & Ragnar Torvik, 2006. "Institutions and the Resource Curse," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(508), pages 1-20, January.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1994. "North-South Trade and the Global Environment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 851-874, September.
- Sappington, David E. M. & Weisman, Dennis L., 1996. "Revenue sharing in incentive regulation plans," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 229-248, September.
- Heaps, Terry & Helliwell, John F., 1985. "The taxation of natural resources," Handbook of Public Economics,in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 421-472 Elsevier.
- Brian R. Copeland & M. Scott Taylor, 2004. "Trade, Growth, and the Environment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(1), pages 7-71, March.
- Bouwe R. Dijkstra, 1999. "The Political Economy of Environmental Policy," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1636, April.
- Fischer, Carolyn, 2005.
"Project-based mechanisms for emissions reductions: balancing trade-offs with baselines,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(14), pages 1807-1823, September.
- Fischer, Carolyn, 2004. "Project-Based Mechanisms for Emissions Reductions: Balancing Trade-offs with Baselines," Discussion Papers dp-04-32, Resources For the Future.
- Yuvaraj Dinesh Babu, N. & Michaelowa, Axel, 2003. "Removing barriers for renewable energy CDM projects in India and building capacity at the state level," HWWA Reports 237, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Banfi, Silvia & Filippini, Massimo & Mueller, Adrian, 2005. "An estimation of the Swiss hydropower rent," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 927-937, May.
- Eirik S. Amundsen & Christian Andersen & Jan Gaute Sannarnes, 1992. "Rent Taxes on Norwegian Hydropower Generation," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 97-116.
- Michaelowa, Axel & Umamaheswaran, K., 2006. "Additionality and Sustainable Development Issues Regarding CDM Projects in Energy Efficiency Sector," HWWA Discussion Papers 346, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Garnaut, Ross & Clunies Ross, Anthony, 1975. "Uncertainty, Risk Aversion and the Taxing of Natural Resource Projects," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(338), pages 272-287, June.
- Heaps, Terry, 1985. "The taxation of nonreplenishable natural resources revisited," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 14-27, March.
- Jamasb, T. & Pollitt, M., 2000. "Benchmarking and regulation: international electricity experience," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 107-130, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yang, Ming & Nguyen, François & De T'Serclaes, Philippine & Buchner, Barbara, 2010. "Wind farm investment risks under uncertain CDM benefit in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 1436-1447, March.
- Nussbaumer, Patrick, 2009. "On the contribution of labelled Certified Emission Reductions to sustainable development: A multi-criteria evaluation of CDM projects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 91-101, January.
- Anna Davies & Niamh Kirwan, 2010. "Rescaling climate justice: sub-national issues and innovations for low carbon futures," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp340, IIIS.
- Drupp, Moritz A., 2011. "Does the Gold Standard label hold its promise in delivering higher Sustainable Development benefits? A multi-criteria comparison of CDM projects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1213-1227, March.
- Kasai, Katsuya, 2012. "How can LDCs benefit from the CDM?: A panel data analysis of determinants of CDM project hosting," MPRA Paper 52137, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2012.
- Liu, Xuemei, 2008. "The monetary compensation mechanism: An alternative to the clean development mechanism," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 289-297, June.
- Kasai, Katsuya, 2012. "Factors Affecting the Distribution of CERs: A Cross-Sectional Empirical Analysis," MPRA Paper 52163, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2013.
- Liu, Xuemei, 2008. "Rent extraction with a type-by-type scheme: An instrument to incorporate sustainable development into the CDM," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1873-1878, June.
- Purohit, Pallav, 2008. "Small hydro power projects under clean development mechanism in India: A preliminary assessment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 2000-2015, June.
- Warnecke, Carsten & Wartmann, Sina & Höhne, Niklas & Blok, Kornelis, 2014. "Beyond pure offsetting: Assessing options to generate Net-Mitigation-Effects in carbon market mechanisms," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 68(C), pages 413-422.
- Koo, Bonsang, 2017. "Preparing hydropower projects for the post-Paris regime: An econometric analysis of the main drivers for registration in the Clean Development Mechanism," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 73(C), pages 868-877.
- Kasai, Katsuya, 2011. "A Cross-Country Empirical Analysis of Determinants of Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) Projects," MPRA Paper 52160, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2012.
- Sahu, Santosh Kumar & Narayanan, K., 2013. "Exports and Participation in Clean Development Mechanism [CDM] in Technology Intensive Industries in India," MPRA Paper 50745, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Adam G. Bumpus & Diana M. Liverman, 2008. "Accumulation by Decarbonization and the Governance of Carbon Offsets," Economic Geography, Clark University, vol. 84(2), pages 127-155, April.
- Johannes Alexeew & Linda Bergset & Kristin Meyer & Juliane Petersen & Lambert Schneider & Charlotte Unger, 2010. "An analysis of the relationship between the additionality of CDM projects and their contribution to sustainable development," International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 233-248, September.
- Emma Paulsson, 2009. "A review of the CDM literature: from fine-tuning to critical scrutiny?," International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 63-80, February.
- Liu, Xuemei, 2010. "Extracting the resource rent from the CDM projects: Can the Chinese Government do better?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 1004-1009, February.
- Raul Gouvea & Jonathan Linton & Manuel Montoya & Steven Walsh, 2012. "Emerging Technologies and Ethics: A Race-to-the-Bottom or the Top?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 109(4), pages 553-567, September.
- Suzi Kerr & Adam Millard-Ball, 2012. "Cooperation to Reduce Developing Country Emissions," Working Papers 12_03, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Lee, Hyounkyu & Park, Taeil & Kim, Byungil & Kim, Kyeongseok & Kim, Hyoungkwan, 2013. "A real option-based model for promoting sustainable energy projects under the clean development mechanism," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 360-368.
- Yadira Mori Clement & Birgit Bednar-Friedl, 2017. "Do Clean Development Mechanism projects generate local employment? Testing for sectoral effects across Brazilian municipalities," Graz Economics Papers 2017-05, University of Graz, Department of Economics.
More about this item
KeywordsClean Development Mechanism; economic rent; rent extraction; profit tax; sustainable development;
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
- Q01 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - Sustainable Development
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters and their Management; Global Warming
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-09-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2006-09-11 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2006-09-11 (Environmental Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:gunwpe:0214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Andersson). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/naiguse.html .