On the Impossibility of Fair Risk Allocation
Measuring and allocating risk properly are crucial for performance evaluation and internal capital allocation of portfolios held by banks, insurance companies, investment funds and other entities subject to financial risk. We show that by using coherent measures of risk it is impossible to allocate risk satisfying the natural requirements of (Solution) Core Compatibility, Equal Treatment Property and Strong Monotonicity. To obtain the result we characterize the Shapley value on the class of totally balanced games and also on the class of exact games. Our result can also be seen as a downside of coherent measures of risk.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+36-1) 309-2652
Fax: (36-1) 319-3136
Web page: http://econ.core.hu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shapley, Lloyd S. & Shubik, Martin, 1969. "On market games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 9-25, June.
- Branzei, R. & Tijs, S. & Zarzuelo, J., 2009. "Convex multi-choice games: Characterizations and monotonic allocation schemes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(2), pages 571-575, October.
- Peter Csoka & P. Jean-Jacques Herings, & Laszlo A. Koczy, 2007.
"Stable Allocations of Risk,"
IEHAS Discussion Papers
0704, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Csóka Péter & Herings P. Jean-Jacques & Kóczy László Á, 2007. "Stable Allocations of Risk," Research Memorandum 040, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Péter Csóka & P. Jean-Jacques Herings & László Á. Kóczy, 2007. "Stable Allocations of Risk," Working Paper Series 0802, Óbuda University, Keleti Faculty of Business and Management, revised Apr 2008.
- Legut, Jerzy, 1990. "On totally balanced games arising from cooperation in fair division," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 47-60, March.
- Csóka, Péter & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Kóczy, László Á., 2006.
"Coherent Measures of Risk from a General Equilibrium Perspective,"
016, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Csoka, Peter & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Koczy, Laszlo A., 2007. "Coherent measures of risk from a general equilibrium perspective," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2517-2534, August.
- Péter Csóka & Jean-Jacques Herings & László Kóczy, 2006. "Coherent Measures of Risk from a General Equilibrium Perspective," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0611, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, revised 30 Aug 2006.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-154278 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ehud Kalai & Eitan Zemel, 1980. "Generalized Network Problems Yielding Totally Balanced Games," Discussion Papers 425, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Acerbi, Carlo & Tasche, Dirk, 2002.
"On the coherence of expected shortfall,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1487-1503, July.
- Calleja, Pedro & Borm, Peter & Hendrickx, Ruud, 2005. "Multi-issue allocation situations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(3), pages 730-747, August.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- R. Cont, 2001. "Empirical properties of asset returns: stylized facts and statistical issues," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 223-236.
- Valdez, Emiliano A. & Chernih, Andrew, 2003. "Wang's capital allocation formula for elliptically contoured distributions," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 517-532, December.
- Carlo Acerbi & Giacomo Scandolo, 2008. "Liquidity risk theory and coherent measures of risk," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(7), pages 681-692.
- Tijs, S.H. & Parthasarathy, T. & Potters, J.A.M. & Rajendra Prasad, V., 1984. "Permutation games : Another class of totally balanced games," Other publications TiSEM a7edfa18-6224-4be3-b677-5, School of Economics and Management.
- Kim, Joseph H.T. & Hardy, Mary R., 2009. "A capital allocation based on a solvency exchange option," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 357-366, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:has:discpr:1117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adrienn Foldi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.