On the Impossibility of Fair Risk Allocation
Measuring and allocating risk properly are crucial for performance evaluation and internal capital allocation of portfolios held by banks, insurance companies, investment funds and other entities subject to financial risk. We show that by using coherent measures of risk it is impossible to allocate risk satisfying the natural requirements of (Solution) Core Compatibility, Equal Treatment Property and Strong Monotonicity. To obtain the result we characterize the Shapley value on the class of totally balanced games and also on the class of exact games. Our result can also be seen as a downside of coherent measures of risk.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1112 Budapest, Budaorsi ut 45.|
Phone: (+36-1) 309-2652
Fax: (36-1) 319-3136
Web page: http://econ.core.hu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Péter Csóka & P. Jean-Jacques Herings & László Á. Kóczy, 2007.
"Stable Allocations of Risk,"
Working Paper Series
0802, Óbuda University, Keleti Faculty of Business and Management, revised Apr 2008.
- Legut, Jerzy, 1990. "On totally balanced games arising from cooperation in fair division," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 47-60, March.
- Kim, Joseph H.T. & Hardy, Mary R., 2009. "A capital allocation based on a solvency exchange option," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 357-366, June.
- Csoka, Peter & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Koczy, Laszlo A., 2007.
"Coherent measures of risk from a general equilibrium perspective,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2517-2534, August.
- Csóka, Péter & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Kóczy, László Á., 2006. "Coherent Measures of Risk from a General Equilibrium Perspective," Research Memorandum 016, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Péter Csóka & Jean-Jacques Herings & László Kóczy, 2006. "Coherent Measures of Risk from a General Equilibrium Perspective," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0611, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, revised 30 Aug 2006.
- Acerbi, Carlo & Tasche, Dirk, 2002.
"On the coherence of expected shortfall,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1487-1503, July.
- Carlo Acerbi & Giacomo Scandolo, 2008. "Liquidity risk theory and coherent measures of risk," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(7), pages 681-692.
- Calleja, Pedro & Borm, Peter & Hendrickx, Ruud, 2005. "Multi-issue allocation situations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(3), pages 730-747, August.
- Branzei, R. & Tijs, S. & Zarzuelo, J., 2009. "Convex multi-choice games: Characterizations and monotonic allocation schemes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(2), pages 571-575, October.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Tijs, S.H. & Parthasarathy, T. & Potters, J.A.M. & Rajendra Prasad, V., 1984. "Permutation games : Another class of totally balanced games," Other publications TiSEM a7edfa18-6224-4be3-b677-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Valdez, Emiliano A. & Chernih, Andrew, 2003. "Wang's capital allocation formula for elliptically contoured distributions," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 517-532, December.
- Shapley, Lloyd S. & Shubik, Martin, 1969. "On market games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 9-25, June.
- Ehud Kalai & Eitan Zemel, 1980. "Generalized Network Problems Yielding Totally Balanced Games," Discussion Papers 425, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Balog, Dóra & Bátyi, Tamás László & Csóka, Péter & Pintér, Miklós, 2014.
"Properties of risk capital allocation methods: Core Compatibility, Equal Treatment Property and Strong Monotonicity,"
Corvinus Economics Working Papers (CEWP)
2014/13, Corvinus University of Budapest.
- Dóra Balog & Tamás László Bátyi & Péter Csóka & Miklós Pintér, 2014. "Properties of risk capital allocation methods: Core Compatibility, Equal Treatment Property and Strong Monotonicity," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1417, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- R. Cont, 2001. "Empirical properties of asset returns: stylized facts and statistical issues," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 223-236.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:has:discpr:1117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adrienn Foldi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.