A capital allocation based on a solvency exchange option
In this paper we propose a new capital allocation method based on an idea of [Sherris, M., 2006. Solvency, capital allocation and fair rate of return in insurance. J. Risk Insurance 73 (1), 71-96]. The proposed method explicitly accommodates the notion of limited liability of the shareholders. We show how the allocated capital can be decomposed, so that each stakeholder can have a clearer understanding of their contribution. We also challenge the no undercut principle, one of the widely accepted allocation axioms, and assert that this axiom is merely a property that certain allocation methods may or may not meet.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Sherris, 2006. "Solvency, Capital Allocation, and Fair Rate of Return in Insurance," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(1), pages 71-96.
- Zanjani, George, 2002. "Pricing and capital allocation in catastrophe insurance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 283-305, August.
- Landsman, Zinoviy & Valdez, Emiliano A., 2005. "Tail Conditional Expectations for Exponential Dispersion Models," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(01), pages 189-209, May.
- Robert C. Merton & André Perold, 1993. "Theory Of Risk Capital In Financial Firms," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 6(3), pages 16-32.
- J. David Cummins, 2000. "Allocation of Capital in the Insurance Industry," Risk Management and Insurance Review, American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 3(1), pages 7-27, 03.