A capital allocation based on a solvency exchange option
In this paper we propose a new capital allocation method based on an idea of [Sherris, M., 2006. Solvency, capital allocation and fair rate of return in insurance. J. Risk Insurance 73 (1), 71-96]. The proposed method explicitly accommodates the notion of limited liability of the shareholders. We show how the allocated capital can be decomposed, so that each stakeholder can have a clearer understanding of their contribution. We also challenge the no undercut principle, one of the widely accepted allocation axioms, and assert that this axiom is merely a property that certain allocation methods may or may not meet.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Sherris, 2006. "Solvency, Capital Allocation, and Fair Rate of Return in Insurance," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(1), pages 71-96.
- Robert C. Merton & André Perold, 1993. "Theory Of Risk Capital In Financial Firms," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 6(3), pages 16-32.
- J. David Cummins, 2000. "Allocation of Capital in the Insurance Industry," Risk Management and Insurance Review, American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 3(1), pages 7-27, 03.
- Zanjani, George, 2002. "Pricing and capital allocation in catastrophe insurance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 283-305, August.
- Landsman, Zinoviy & Valdez, Emiliano A., 2005. "Tail Conditional Expectations for Exponential Dispersion Models," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(01), pages 189-209, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:44:y:2009:i:3:p:357-366. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.