Market Shares: Some Power Law Results and Observations
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Rajeev Kohli & Raaj Sah, 2006. "Some Empirical Regularities in Market Shares," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(11), pages 1792-1798, November.
- Rajeev Kohli & Raaj Sah, 2005. "Some Patterns of Market Shares of Brands Within and Across Product Categories," Working Papers 11-2005, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Rajeev Kohli & Raaj Sah, 2005. "Some Patterns of Market Shares of Brands Within and Across Product Categories," Working Papers 0604, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
References listed on IDEAS
- Peter M. Guadagni & John D. C. Little, 1983. "A Logit Model of Brand Choice Calibrated on Scanner Data," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(3), pages 203-238.
- Kelvin Lancaster, 1990. "The Economics of Product Variety: A Survey," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(3), pages 189-206.
- Daniel McFadden, 1986. "The Choice Theory Approach to Market Research," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(4), pages 275-297.
- Frank M. Bass, 1969. "A New Product Growth for Model Consumer Durables," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(5), pages 215-227, January.
- Gurumurthy Kalyanaram & William T. Robinson & Glen L. Urban, 1995. "Order of Market Entry: Established Empirical Generalizations, Emerging Empirical Generalizations, and Future Research," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(3_supplem), pages 212-221.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1975. "Transcendental Logarithmic Utility Functions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 367-383, June.
- Brock, W A, 1999. "Scaling in Economics: A Reader's Guide," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 409-446, September.
- Ehrenberg, Andrew S. C. & Uncles, Mark D. & Goodhardt, Gerald J., 2004. "Understanding brand performance measures: using Dirichlet benchmarks," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(12), pages 1307-1325, December.
- Uncles, Mark D. & Ehrenberg, Andrew S. C. & Goodhardt, Gerald J., 2004. "Reply to commentary on "Understanding brand performance measures: using Dirichlet benchmarks"," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(12), pages 1329-1330, December.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "New Methods in Statistical Economics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71, pages 421-421.
- Chung, Kee H & Cox, Raymond A K, 1994. "A Stochastic Model of Superstardom: An Application of the Yule Distribution," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(4), pages 771-775, November.
- Frank M. Bass, 1995. "Empirical Generalizations and Marketing Science: A Personal View," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(3_supplem), pages 6-19.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hisano, Ryohei & Mizuno, Takayuki, 2011. "Sales distribution of consumer electronics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(2), pages 309-318.
- Rustam Ibragimov & Johan Walden, 2010. "Optimal Bundling Strategies Under Heavy-Tailed Valuations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 56(11), pages 1963-1976, November.
- van Ewijk, Bernadette J. & Stubbe, Astrid & Gijsbrechts, Els & Dekimpe, Marnik G., 2021. "Online display advertising for CPG brands: (When) does it work?," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 271-289.
- P.J. Lamberson, 2016. "Winner-take-all or long tail? A behavioral model of markets with increasing returns," System Dynamics Review, System Dynamics Society, vol. 32(3-4), pages 233-260, July.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Graham, Charles & Khan, Kamran & Ilyas, Muhammad, 2019. "Estimating the value of passing trade from pedestrian density," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 103-111.
- Koll, Oliver & Plank, Andreas, 2022. "Do shoppers choose the same brand on the next trip when facing the same context? An empirical investigation in FMCG retailing," Journal of Retailing, Elsevier, vol. 98(4), pages 576-592.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 2000. "Competing with Experience Goods," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0771, Econometric Society.
- Trinh, Giang & Lam, Desmond, 2016. "Understanding the attendance at cultural venues and events with stochastic preference models," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(9), pages 3538-3544.
- Trinh, Giang & Corsi, Armando & Lockshin, Larry, 2019. "How country of origins of food products compete and grow," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 231-241.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta & Harikesh S. Nair, 2011. "Structural Workshop Paper --Discrete-Choice Models of Consumer Demand in Marketing," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(6), pages 977-996, November.
- Hongmin Li & Scott Webster & Gwangjae Yu, 2020. "Product Design Under Multinomial Logit Choices: Optimization of Quality and Prices in an Evolving Product Line," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 22(5), pages 1011-1025, September.
- Xinxue (Shawn) Qu & Aslan Lotfi & Dipak C. Jain & Zhengrui Jiang, 2022. "Predicting upgrade timing for successive product generations: An exponential‐decay proportional hazard model," Production and Operations Management, Production and Operations Management Society, vol. 31(5), pages 2067-2083, May.
- David R. Bell & Jeongwen Chiang & V. Padmanabhan, 1999. "The Decomposition of Promotional Response: An Empirical Generalization," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(4), pages 504-526.
- Frank M. Bass, 2004. "Comments on "A New Product Growth for Model Consumer Durables The Bass Model"," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(12_supple), pages 1833-1840, December.
- Gauthier Casteran & Polymeros Chrysochou & Lars Meyer-Waarden, 2019. "Brand loyalty evolution and the impact of category characteristics," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 57-73, March.
- Qin, Ruwen & Nembhard, David A., 2012. "Demand modeling of stochastic product diffusion over the life cycle," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 201-210.
- Selçuk, Faruk & Gençay, Ramazan, 2006. "Intraday dynamics of stock market returns and volatility," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 367(C), pages 375-387.
- Kim, Namwoon & Srivastava, Rajendra K., 2007. "Modeling cross-price effects on inter-category dynamics: The case of three computing platforms," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 290-301, June.
- Dawes, John, 2022. "Factors that influence manufacturer and store brand behavioral loyalty," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 68(C).
- John R. Howell & Sanghak Lee & Greg M. Allenby, 2016. "Price Promotions in Choice Models," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(2), pages 319-334, March.
- Nardi, Vinicius Antonio Machado & Jardim, William Carvalho & Ladeira, Wagner Júnior & Santini, Fernando, 2020. "A meta-analysis of the relationship between customer participation and brand outcomes," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(C), pages 450-460.
- Hanna Górska-Warsewicz, 2022. "Consumer or Patient Determinants of Hospital Brand Equity—A Systematic Literature Review," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 19(15), pages 1-37, July.
- Anesbury, Zachary William & Talbot, Danielle & Day, Chanel Andrea & Bogomolov, Tim & Bogomolova, Svetlana, 2020. "The fallacy of the heavy buyer: Exploring purchasing frequencies of fresh fruit and vegetable categories," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 53(C).
- van der Rhee, Bo & Verma, Rohit & Plaschka, Gerhard, 2009. "Understanding trade-offs in the supplier selection process: The role of flexibility, delivery, and value-added services/support," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 30-41, July.
More about this item
Keywordsmarket shares; power law;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:har:wpaper:0401. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/spuchus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Eleanor Cartelli (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/spuchus.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.